Is there a good alternative to Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I am new to this site but looking at discussions on here it seems to be a Godsend. I was prescribed mertazapine 2 weeks ago and had to stop taking almost immediately. I explained how bad I was feeling to my doctor and also told him I couldn't concentrate because of depression and I am at university where I have exams in 2 weeks. He prescribed mertazapine but became a walking shell with what seemed like no brain function. I stopped taking them but could not get another appointment. Finally after crying down the phone and pleading got to see a nurse who said that she would speak to the doctor and see what she could do. She asked if I would consider taking a lower dose to which I said no, a prescription was waiting for me of 15mg.

I feel that I have to chose between feeling void and zombified or being an emotional mess. Either way gonna fail. I did mention that I had to drive 50 miles to uni which is impossible on these so for now I am an emotional mess.

Previously I was on venlaglaxine but they seemed to have stopped working. I feel that neither the doctor or nurse listened, am sure my husband thinks I should get over it and have never felt so isolated and alone. There has to be something out there similar to venlaflaxine. Any ideas anyone as right now I just want to curl up in a ball and hibernate. Thanks x

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Catherine

there are lots more drugs out there which your gp should try on if he won't I would ask for a second opion with another GP that's terrible they are not listening to you you are worth more than that 

My partner is the same thinks I'm a drama queen this didn't help one bit when I needed the help more than usual !!! 

• Posted

Thanks Di was so distraught that I have asked about another nearby surgery. I was told to take them at night but because I knew I had to go to uni the next day took at tea time. 20 mins later thought I had been shot with tranquilizer dart. Was staggering all over the place and next day was a zombie. Before my lecture went to speak to my tutor and just burst into tears. Not been back since.
    • Posted

I took my first one last Wednesday about 5pm was in bed within the hour had to be up at 5 am for work the next day omg I was sleeping standing that's what it felt like luckily I only worked 3 hours that was a miracle went home slept for ages I've been fine since I came off them x hope you get sorted soon I would def try another surgery 
  • Posted

Were you taking them in during the day?? I was prescibed 30mg Mirtazapine (to be taken at night becuase it's a sedative) but found after a few weeks I couldn't function and was feeling very groggy in the morning). I was put on the 15mg (still at bedtime) and have been on it for a year now with really no major issues. My doctore did try me on Welburtin.....HORRIBLE!!  I'd see if there may be another doctor you could see.
  • Posted

Also where I live if for some reason we can't get in to see the gp we have a local walk in centre where u can see an emergency GP I have done this when I've ran out of meds and they gave me diazepam which is short use only but was a relief in times of emergency maybe ring 111 ask for local phone number ? 
  • Posted

This is a bit of a problem to answer, the mirt seem to work on your head first so you should be able to think ok for you exams but the driving is a big problem, I can't drive on them either. Is there no way you could explain to a tutor or somebody so you can do them from home? I have been on them 21/2 weeks first week weening off venaflaxine with 15 mirt next 30 ml up till now. My head was better after the first week but my body terrible however continuing as my head was the main problem, body still not so good but could sit to do paper work and concentrate. Try to find a way with them, I bet you pass stick at it good luck JudithJudith
    • Posted

I have an assignment that goes towards my final grade that I can do at home but have to take the exams at uni unfortunately. I have spoken to my tutor who has let me defer 2 exams til August but can only do that for 2 so unsure. Thanks for the vote of confidence but feel like chucking it all in. Deep down I realise that this is the illness but feel like letting it just envelope me right now xx
    • Posted

Don't do that it is hell! You seem to have understanding tutors, you health is more important at the moment but if you can find a way round it would be good. Keep in touch good luck Judith x
    • Posted

Thank you my personal tutor is lovely and she is roughly same age as me as I am an old student so she recognises the juggle of kids, study and life in general. Seeing GP Friday so will see what happens and let you know. Thanks for your support and hope you have a fantastic few days x
    • Posted

Good luck and thanks, think fantastic is pushing it I will settle for ok days for now. Really hope you get your exams sorted. Good luck with doc, have you tried getting a phone appointment, just a though x
    • Posted

Still can't get appointment til Friday, can't change doctors as we live in a village and seem to be out of anyone else's catchment area. Husband sending starchy texts of how my bad mood is affecting him. I bloody give up
    • Posted

Don't give up, see how you get on with tablets till you see doc, husband being a t.... Sorry but he is. Do you have to drive and go to uni this week? If not try and go with it for a while gather your thoughts and prioritise, degree, husband, kids etc. see what really matters to you most at the moment and go from there. Easy to say hard to do I know but it may help.
    • Posted

Thanks. Yes he is. Have an assessment to be in Friday but can't even think about it now.  I can't take the tablets as we live in a small village and can't get anywhere without driving. I have to pick up my sons meds from the chemist tomorrow as he has asthma. Husband can't as he won't be back in time. Think I'll go back to bed and stay there for today and do same tomorrow after chemist trip and stock up cupboards so I don't have to drive again for few days. Switched mobile off and tempted to throw it in bin lol xx
    • Posted

Men are no help at all when we are depressed men are from mars ect lol 

I also feel bed is the best place when feeling like that hope you get sorted on Friday x 

• Posted

How's everybody doing? I haven't done much at all today and not worried about it, hope this doe sent last as I have loads to do. The roller coaster continues.
    • Posted

Hi Judith

I've been feeling great mood wise and no side effects yet beside brain fog and tiredness I'm thinking that's really good last tablet was Monday so hoping it continues lolHope you feel better tomorrow don't worry about doing nothing just relax and get well x 

• Posted

That's great let's hope you can do it without them, fingers crossed for you. I know I just hope it will pass, been laughing again today so musent grumble as they say. Have a good sleep, take care rolleyes
    • Posted

Morning everybody, sun is shinning and feel possitive, head great body still won't have it! Going to try hard to fight it today, who cares if I look dunk want to get on! Take care have the best day you can. Judith rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.