Is there a good alternative to Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I am new to this site but looking at discussions on here it seems to be a Godsend. I was prescribed mertazapine 2 weeks ago and had to stop taking almost immediately. I explained how bad I was feeling to my doctor and also told him I couldn't concentrate because of depression and I am at university where I have exams in 2 weeks. He prescribed mertazapine but became a walking shell with what seemed like no brain function. I stopped taking them but could not get another appointment. Finally after crying down the phone and pleading got to see a nurse who said that she would speak to the doctor and see what she could do. She asked if I would consider taking a lower dose to which I said no, a prescription was waiting for me of 15mg.

I feel that I have to chose between feeling void and zombified or being an emotional mess. Either way gonna fail. I did mention that I had to drive 50 miles to uni which is impossible on these so for now I am an emotional mess.

Previously I was on venlaglaxine but they seemed to have stopped working. I feel that neither the doctor or nurse listened, am sure my husband thinks I should get over it and have never felt so isolated and alone. There has to be something out there similar to venlaflaxine. Any ideas anyone as right now I just want to curl up in a ball and hibernate. Thanks x

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well after all my problems with getting to see a doctor I finally got to see a new one at our surgery. All I can say is what an arrogant prick. Sorry but he is. Threw a prescription at me after patronising me. Told him I needed a medical certificate for uni and he put on it slightly depressed mood. At least the prescription wasn't for mirtazapine this time lol. It was fluoxetine so hopefully will have better results with them. I thought that when you saw a new doctor about depression they ask you questions to ensure you are not at risk of self harming or suicidal but nothing. Maybe I am being to harsh on him but felt he could not get rid of me quick enough. In fairness though I don't want to be around me at the minute so why should he lol. Hope everyone else is coping and having a decent day xx
    • Posted

What a prick after waiting for all this time, my docs are great but they all know me and my issues. How you getting on with uni have you been able to sort out your exams? Take care judith
    • Posted

Uni said that they can differ so long as I have a medical certificate but will they accept "slightly depressed mood"as an excuse. I am waiting to hear back to see if I have been given an extension for the essay due today. If not it will count as a fail and will resist in august. If it comes down to it will be classed as a no show because I have a crap doctor will sit in august but no second chances if I fail. Will just have to make sure I am sorted by then and revise really well in the summer as I have worked my butt off just to get my place. I can't let this illness ruin my life and stamp on my dreams especially when I never thought I would ever be accepted and was.

hopefully it will work out and if I do fail at least I have tried.

• Posted

Well he sounds a right prat I wouldn't see him again 

I've been on fluoxetine they worked for a while no side effects with them  

im on day 4 now no meds feeling brain fog which I've had anyway feeling so much better hope you get results from fluoxetine don't be hard on yourself take time to get well x 

• Posted

Thanks. I hate the brain fog so hope that clears soon for you. Finally got some support from hubby too so not a bad day today x
    • Posted

Fingers crossed they will accept the sick note, your tutor knows so that may help. Give yourself time if you can and get to the right place for resits, what are you studying you sound really passionate about it and so happy you were accepted in the first place. I got a dagree in youth and community work when I was 35 and was thrilled, very hard because of my age but did it and got a distinction along with all the youngsters. One of my tutors even used on of my pieces of work, I was chuffed at the time but now know it was plagiarism, how stupid was I. Take care and good luck judith
    • Posted

It's applied social sciences and I fell into by accident at college last year. Got an A in both psychology and sociology so was ecstatic when accepted for uni as never got an A before in my life. I know what you mean about your age. I am the only one over 20 and get treated like their mum as I am 44. The tutors have been so supportive and couldn't say a bad thing about any of them. Just had an email saying not to worry it's only an essay and can be done when feeling better. I am sure my tutor will fight my corner as she was telling me about her experience with Prozac so knows what this feels like.

feel so much more positive today just hope it lasts.  Don't think i will get distinction but am happy they value me enough to let me have extra time. That means so much to someone who came from humble beginnings and the only one in her family who has these chances. Think that makes sense.

• Posted

That's heavy, bet you get them mixed up sometimes, it's easy done. Glad your feeling more positive you have done so well so far,try and see it as I blip. You have waited this long august is not far away, keep it up! Try and have a good bank holiday. Judith x
    • Posted

Had a great day on Saturday but then for some reason my head, emotions and feelings got the better of me. I can't even remember what started me off but I do remember screaming at my husband that bitch was too nice a word for his mum and the world would be a better place without her. I know a lot of people think that about in laws but my action was a little extreme. Understandably he was upset and went to leave so for some insane reason I threw his laptop out after him. Really strange though is that he has forgiven me. I woke up the next morning feeling horrified and ashamed of myself and no, alcohol was not a factor. Apart from feeling guilty I also felt really calm so maybe my flip out was quite therapeutic. Wouldn't recommend it though as I am lucky hubby is so forgiving.  Anyway think new meds are starting to kick In. Managed over half my essay today. Only side affects seem to be water retention in ankles which compared to how I felt on others is a real relief. Big thank you to you all for your support and hopefully we will all come out of this the other side x
    • Posted

lolHi Catherine, well what a blow out, seems to have done you good though. Maybe you needed to say it. Great that you have got some of you essay done as well. I have been to feed my daughters cat and see my Pdoc, she said 30 ml may be to high for me so I am trying 15 tonight, bit worried as I don't want my panics and depression back. We will see. I also went to the pub over the road for lunch so I must b feeling better. You don't realise your getting better sometimes until you look back, was looking at my diary and about a month ago I didn't want to live never mind go out! As you say thanks to everybody for support it really helps me take care JudithJudith
    • Posted

Don't know why the positive text puts my name twice, I don't deserve to be named twice!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.