Is there anyone else here who has this but is a non smoker? I've never smoked!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm age 41 diagnosed aged 38. Non smoker.

Thou I've had Asthma since age 17. Along with spinal problems.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Caroline

Yes im a non smoker , still waiting for a diagnosis x-ray with hyperinflated lungs the only positive test that mentioned copd.Its a bit of a long story

all the best

Craig

• Posted

Thank you. And good luck. I just go for a spiro test yearly or so. Inhalers and pills but try to keep as active as possible. It helps a bit.
  • Posted

Hi Caroline

If it's any comfort to you, 25% of all kinds of COPD cases in the States are in folks who never smoked. At least that's what my pulmo says. I smoked for a long time but also have environmental causes and health causes, namely a terrible lung infection in the '80s.

Take care of yourself & keep up the exercise.

• Posted

Hi you can also get copd from being in close proximity to smokers for years ie parents who smoked.  If you work in certain industries ie the rag trade you can also get it. 

• Posted

I've never smoked. My lungs were severly damaged from a bone marrow transplant. Rejection is similar to cops. I also have BO. FEVis 20%. O2 24/7. Getting pre tests for lung transplant

• Posted

That's awful. At least it's not just me. Most think it just linked to smoking.x

• Posted

I have retired and was sick several time and when i went to the dr. they said that i had asthma.  I had some other family members who wheezed and had asthma, but didn't know or think that i had asthma.  I never smoked and tried to keep our home clean and free of possible breathing issues.  After using the puffers that was recommended by the health care professionals much to my suprise, i found out they made my condition even worse. Now i am wondering what else i could do.  I guess that a lot of people have breathing problems.

• Posted

Hi Grace

I was also given an inhaler , which made my problems much worse.

Im still trying to get my problem diagnosed...had an x-ray which showed hyperinflated lungs and mentioned copd.I think its advanced since then to emphysema..

I think without the inhaler i would have been in much better health .

I hope you getsome answers and useful advice

All the best

Craig

• Posted

If you've not already done so, ask for an alpha1 antitrypsin test.

British Lung Foundation can offer you more advice, you can email them or phone their helpline.  (search box top right - 'British Lung Foundation' will show page with link to their site.

If you do not reside in UK contact the Lung Foundation or Association in the country you are currently living.

• Posted

Ok will ask about it as other things wrong. Probably all linked x
  • Posted

Yes Caroline I have never smoked either and was so shocked when the doc gave me this diagnosis. But my parents smoked and I have had allergies all my life and some mild asthma. He says I have obstructed breathing but nothing shows on x ray or ct scan. I am on Zenhale and have to be careful about not getting chest infection. My lung function is 62%. Hope you get the answers you need.  Sue
    • Posted

Sounds much like. Myself. I think Asthma can turn into c o p d after Lon years of damage. At least it's not just me seems a fair few like us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.