Is there anyone who fought depression by themselves?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello Guys, 

Is there anyone here who was able to get rid of depression with their own efforts? 

Looking forward to your reply.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ana.J,

You may be able to mask depression even convince yourself that your cured from it but t would take a very special person indeed to cure themselves of depression.

Mike.

• Posted

I have been off and on anti depressants for years now. I feel better off the meds, but only when i lower my suger intake and workout everyday, if i dont I find myself sinking into the black hole again.

I have recently been coping with a health

• Posted

I have been off and on anti depressants for years now. I feel better off the meds, but only when i lower my suger intake and workout everyday, if i dont I find myself sinking into the black hole again.

I have recently been coping with a healthissue that debilitates me enough where walking on the treadmill is uncomfortable, standing at work is uncomfortable and its embarressing. My husband cant be supportive, he doesnt know how its feels and blames my ocd and says im antisocial.

Its true I dont get close to people because I have trust issues but I do have coworkers i talk too.

I feel like I cant talk to him anymore. Im having surgury on the 21st and hope to be back to 100%.

Iuse to be in really good shape but that is going away now. So yes, i feel like Im going through this alone.

• Posted

Hi,

Okay I understand better now.

Don't ever feel truly alone. On this site are many like minded people from around the world, we try to help each other if we can.

Sometimes just putting your thoughts down means something. I think many of us are here talking about depression while coping with physical problems as well.

Keep in touch, there's usually someone available to bounce things off.

Mike.

• Posted

Yes, I tried, I think most people try to avoid meds first.

You can exercise/cardio and hour a day.

Change your diet to eat foods that will give you energy and stop eating sugar.

And force yourself to go out socially.

Also, try left brain activities like cards and puzzles to give your right side of your brain a break, the emotional side.

But if you are truly clincally depressed you will need meds

• Posted

Well....socializing is hard for me as small talk and noisy places s make me tied. 
  • Posted

Well I wouldn't say I have cured my depression on my own,  but in my 20's I did face that I had a stark choice of either ending it all or trying to help myself.   I decided to take the latter way and keep the first as an option if it didn't work.  I looked at my life and decided what I needed to do and to learn and set myself to do it.   I have made sacrifices though in not allowing myself intimating relationships or children coz I know I wouldn't have been able to cope with it.  It has been and still is a lonely life but hey ho I am still here.

• Posted

Well I would say that depends on just how depressed a person is, taking my own case for example there's no way in hell to get through without meds, I couldn't even work out how to get dressed, my cognitive function was so affected I though I had brain tumors or stroke and I was running every day and eating right too, its a long long road back when it get that bad so my advice to anyone would be take the meds till your life changes not till you feel better till what made you like that has gone, simple to say I know shame its not that easy to do in life too, wishing you all the best

• Posted

Sometimes we may need some help depending on what has caused your Depression.

If you want to get rid of it in your own right, a positive attitude to life may help and know and address what has caused your Depressin to know that you are half way there to treating it

• Posted

Hello Ana,

I have over come severe depression. Taken me 30 years, nevertheless I now feel in control of how I allow my mood to affect me.

I think in the beginning I didn't understand what was happening to me. I didn't have enough information available to learn any better. I wasn't fortunate to have the Internet back then.

Over the last 10 years I have done my own research. Learned every aspect about depression, stress, anxiety and many many more ailments of the mind.

I have seen psychiatrist after psychiatrist. Doctors who don't understand anything about depression apart from writing out a prescription.

In the end the answer was inside me. Positive thoughts with knowledge has seen me through.

• Posted

Hi Ana,

Having fought depression and anxiety since it hit me hard earlier this year, I have tried both counselling and a few meds (that was earlier this year), since this summer onwards I tried managing from own efforts, such as trying to take walks in the sun, rewarding myself, doing things that I would hope make me smile etc. it's working to some degree, and I am now able to keep a stable relationship and work, even if the anxiety still hits me. I would probably still benefit from starting councking again. It is not good to take this on your own shoulders, involve your loved ones and family to support you at the very least, no one should go through depression alone.

Hope you have had a good day and that telling my experience help you.

Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.