Is there free testing for herpes?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve self diagnosed myself for hsv2 around August and havent been to the doctors yet but the curiosity eats at me from time to time. I’m 17 and I’m deciding to just go and get a test but I want to do it without my parents being charged for a blood test since I’m on their insurance  (since my lesions have fully healed) is there a way to do this for free?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

No. Go to the doctor when there’s lesions to get a swab 
  • Posted

tell you parents... & go to the doctor before your condition gets worse , your parents should help you get through your situation the best way. no matter how scared you are to tell them you should, they should be supportive. 

• Posted

Don't worry about it going to insurance. It will likely mostly be covered. If you want, pay the copay if there is one.  If you have a health issue, it's better for your parents to know so they can help. You can pay the bill when it comes if you want - your parents may say it's fine they will pay the bill, but just tell them you'll be 18 soon and want to make a step toward taking care of your own health and you'd like to pay. 

If you're dead set on them not knowing, you can try to go to a Planned Parenthood clinic. I think they will test you even under 18 and could pay directly or may be free.   Best to go when you have lesions/sores/outbreak and request swab test. Make apointment soon as the sores start so they're not gone before apointment.    There's a blood test too if you want.   You don't need to have blood test during OB. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.