Is there light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had keyhole bunion surgery 9 weeks ago and thought every thing would be back to normal now. Surgery went great no pain after just a couple of twinges.I had a bandage on for 2 weeks then a cast on for 4, I went back and had the cast removed and an X-ray taken. My surgeon said my foot hadn't healed and that I should continue with the shoe for another 6weeks!. I left the hospital totally fed up!!!. Two weeks after this I felt the screw in the top of my foot just under the skin as you can imagine I felt sick. I arranged an appointment and went back. He told me after an X-ray it still wasn't healing and said he would take the screw out when it healed then he told me I had to have another cast on for 5 weeks!!!!!!!. I am totally fed up and depressed about it all and wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dorothy 

So sorry you are having all this problems but did surgeon not give you any idea as to why things are not healing? I had a minimally invasive procedure for the bunion and realigned toe with pins but no plaster cast? Must be different type of mip I personally feel that when you know the fact and reasons behind something it's easier to deal with and I can fully appreciate your frustration so he must know why thing have not gone to plan and you are untitled to explanation going luck and try not to worry too much

• Posted

Hi Dorothy, so sorry your healing is taking time. i have heard of a bone healing ultrasound device.  maybe something to investigate, but not sure how it would work through a cast

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi dorothy

I  can't believe what you've been through. What made you choose keyhole surgery? Was it supposed to be minimal scarring or something??????? You poor thingcry

• Posted

I didn't have a choice really. The surgeon said it was the best way and the healing is quicker. I must say that when the cast came off there was 5 tiny wounds which had faded really good. The problem is it's not healed inside!!!!!! All he asked me every time I've seen him is " do you smoke " I don't so why keep asking! 
  • Posted

Oh my God Dorothy!!  I am so sorry!  Did you have the Lapidus Procedure?  It is the most difficult of procedures with bunionectomies.  I am 8 weeks post op of the Lapidus and just got into a shoe.  Foot swollen, stiff and sore, but am limping around and going through PT.  My surgeon sliced my foot in three 3" incisions. It looked like the Frankenstien foot after surgery.  I remember at my 2 week check up the surgeon , I had questioned him about what if I had a non-union, he said that he felt confident that he got those screws in tight and secure , that he said he was confident that there would be a union, unless I smoked.  He took an x-ray yesterday and he said as of now it looks like it is healing into a union, however, I guess they don't really know until like 6 months post op. I am so sorry for what you are dealing with.  Please keep us posted on your recovery. 
  • Posted

Hi Dorothy,

I did felt the same experience during my 8 months post operation. I told the surgeon that I still feel pain when I walk or standing more than  1 hour. The surgeon then told me it could be due to the longer screw as compared to other two smaller screws he inserted that could have caused the pain. So he suggested to take out the screw which I think I will not be doing it. I decided to frequently massage the affected area with ointment and the pain reduce by time.

• Posted

Sulaimansiti2187-  That is what I am afraid of too! Did your surgeon say how intensive that surgery would be?  With taking out the screw?
    • Posted

My surgeon never said what the surgery would be like if he took the screws out and to be honest I'm not thinking about that all I'm worried about is it healing or if I'm gonna be limping round for the rest of my life!. My scars have healed lovely but the one where I can feel one of the screws is purple and raised as I can actually feel the top of it just under the skin.
  • Posted

Oh man.....that surely is a big surprise and disappointment.  But don't despair !!  The 6-8 week time span for bone healing is an average (same for both key hole and open surgery methods) and it certainly can happen that the bone healing  takes longer. I have heard of someone who had to wear their post-op shoe for 12 weeks before the bone was sufficiently healed to fully weight bear. As far as the screw goes, I have heard of quite a few people who ended up having theirs taken out sometimes months down the line and sometimes years down the line. I read somewhere a statistic of about 20% needing to have theirs taken out at some point.  Deep breaths !  Shore up that needed patience !  And best of luck with it all.  smile

• Posted

Sorry to hear all the pain you're experiencing. Seems like the surgeon botched the operation. Best getting a second opinion. Some surgeons won't touch another doctor's surgery which was in my case but I didn't give up, finally finding the best surgeon here in Sydney au. Highly recommended. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.