Is this a Blip?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys

It's been a while since I posted, which I feel bad as I should be helping others like they help me when I come on! Been on citalopram 20mg 2 years now once daily at night. I was on propranolol for a year and half and stopped them I take the occasional one when I get palpataions just! So since sat I have had high anxiety and negative thoughts always creep back in when I'm anxious then I fixate on these which make me panic i hate the feeling.... Iv had a bit of stress thru work and financial worries but sought help with that thru stepchange! And always thought you only life once why get so stressed over it!! My moods have been swinging prob because I work shifts nights to days bla bla. Two weeks ago I forgot to take my meds and took them when I remembered then tried to taper them back to my normal times meaning I may have had the 20mg at 5am (on nights) then the next dose at 1am of the next night then the next day 11pm. Just annoying if I'm busy in work I don't get to take them or forget! Could this high anxiety be down to that or a blip?? I was doing so well lately and only had issues with the weight gain (2.5stone) from starting these which also could be a factor! Ahhhh the 20 Mg has worked for me but the odd occasion Iv had high anxiety it's just the horrible thoughts that freak me out and I panic and don't like to be alone!! Please tell me this will pass.

Thanks for reading 

Emz

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

I've been on citalopram for 7 years....I started getting really bad anxiety in July so asked doc if I can up my dose from 10mg to 20 mg now I don't know whether if it's citalopram or the mirtazapine I take ( been on mirtazipine for a year) that is making me horrendously anxious, everyday is a nightmare! I think your suppose to take medication at the same time everyday but I don't think a couple of hours would make a difference! I thinking about weaning off citalopram very slowly....good luck with yours, I am also having terrible thoughts I am constantly stick in my head and panic constantly...but don't give power to your strange thoughts, you are not your thoughts don't let them control you (easier said then done lol😊wink I am also feeling detached which is freaking me out!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Pamela I defo need to learn more CBT tactics again. Can you take mirtazipine and citalopram together? Sometimes I feel weird and detached but soon bang back to earth! Could be the changes in your meds making you feel detached. Good luck with your recovery x
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Reading this just made me remember to take my meds. I also work night shifts/day shifts/ early morning shifts all different every week. Its so hard to have a routine and make sure I am spending enough time on other areas which help my mental health - exercise, meditation, writing in my journal, doing soothing activities, eating well etc. The only advice I can give you - which is what I try tell myself every day - is to do your best to stick to a routine when you can (my meds make me tired but I try take them around 10pm every night regardless), take 10 minutes out at work to go meditate with an app on your phone, practice breathing exercises whilst at work, be kind to yourself, recognise when things are getting too much. It is hard. I fluctuate a lot. You need to acknowledge that other aspects of your life still affect your anxiety - the medication is just a tool to help you deal better with anxiety - its not giving you any super powers. My therapist always says medication is a good pair of boots, you still need to climb the mountain. I try remind myself of that.

I think you should seek help with a therapist. It does help. For one quick tip I can give you - with bad thoughts that keep intruding. When you have a bad thought, visualise putting it on a leaf and watching it float down a creek. It sounds silly.. but i suffer from pretty severe OCD and it does work if you stick with it. Ive found it quite soothing and such an easy way to bring some peace to yourself.

Also weight training is proven to be really helpful to ease anxiety. Hit the gym twice a week, it will help!

Also I am on 30mg daily and have been for about 8 months.

Lots to take on. Im rushing to write this while im at work sorry if its not very cohesive.. dont think about the medication. Try something else to help yourself. I always have crisis moments to my therapist (who is a doctor as well) about my meds not working and she always reminds me that they dont stop working. The meds do not fluctuate. So identify what could be fluctuating in your life - work, not enough sleep, not eating well, not enough exercise - and work on that. The meds are working.

Good luck! It will pass.. it always does.. xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ahh thanks so much for your kind words. I did have a relaxation app b4 I definitely should get it again, Iv started running this week hopefully it's a start. I have been to counselling b4 and it worked well I can re refer, it would be finding time with my 3 young boys and a husband and work 🙈! Good luck on your recovery, I just hope there are less blips and more happiness xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

With SSRI's, deciding to be on them you'll have to figure that out. For me, with being put on different one's for 25 year's, I got sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. That led me to studying my medications and the truth from others who have suffered from them.

They do not work but only anesthesize the frontal cortex of the brain and blunt ALL emotions. They have hundreds of adverse effects and the longer that a person is taking antidepressants the more adverse effects can happen. There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance in the brain. Some people have issues with metabolizing serotonin and it floods the brain. Taking antidepressants only makes it worse for them. Antidepressants interfere with the metabolism of serotonin and can cause damage to any and every part of the brain and body. If you decide to get off of SSRI's, then it has to be done very slowly. Most doctors are uninformed about these drugs especially safe tapering. They take their patients off too quickly and they can end up with severe and protracted withdrawals. Recommend a taper of no more than a 5% decrease every two to four weeks. It is important to give the brain and body time to adjust to the chemical changes taking place. If depression and anxiety are not caused by trauma then it is believed that they are symptoms of something physically going in the body. It could be nutritional deficiencies or allergies, hormonal imbalances such as Thyroid disease or vitamin D deficiency, heavy metal toxins or chemicals, genetic defects such as the MTHFR gene defects and bad gut health. Antidepressants cause bad gut health because over 90% of all serotonin lies in the digestive tract. If you can find a good functional doctor that do the testing to find the root cause of your anxiety then you may be able to be helped better. Antidepressants only mask anxiety and depression and, in the end, cause anxiety and depression!

They do not work but only anesthesize the frontal cortex of the brain and blunt ALL emotions. They have hundreds of adverse effects and the longer that a person is taking antidepressants the more adverse effects can happen. There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance in the brain. Some people have issues with metabolizing serotonin and it floods the brain. Taking antidepressants only makes it worse for them. Antidepressants interfere with the metabolism of serotonin and can cause damage to any and every part of the brain and body. If you decide to get off of SSRI's, then it has to be done very slowly. Most doctors are uninformed about these drugs especially safe tapering. They take their patients off too quickly and they can end up with severe and protracted withdrawals. Recommend a taper of no more than a 5% decrease every two to four weeks. It is important to give the brain and body time to adjust to the chemical changes taking place. If depression and anxiety are not caused by trauma then it is believed that they are symptoms of something physically going in the body. It could be nutritional deficiencies or allergies, hormonal imbalances such as Thyroid disease or vitamin D deficiency, heavy metal toxins or chemicals, genetic defects such as the MTHFR gene defects and bad gut health. Antidepressants cause bad gut health because over 90% of all serotonin lies in the digestive tract. If you can find a good functional doctor that do the testing to find the root cause of your anxiety then you may be able to be helped better. Antidepressants only mask anxiety and depression and, in the end, cause anxiety and depression!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up