Is this a DD flare up ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Morning all ...I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis last January when I was rushed into hospital with awful pain to find I had a hole in my bowl. Anyway after 3 weeks in hospital and an op to clear poison out I've since had no issues . Over the last couple of days I've had diarrhea which smells absolutely disgusting, temperature and lower stomach pain/ cramp . Today I feel too unwell to try to make it in to work ...is this a flare up or just a bug? And if it's a flare up do I contact my doctor and tell him I've got DD and should I have antibiotics?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. This was me three weeks ago, I stuck it for 2 days and then went to my gp.He said it could have been a tummy bug originally but that it had caused the dd to flare. I was on a clear liquid only diet for 3 days and then a soft food diet for nearly a week and even now I'm sticking to non irritant foods. I got anti biotics and buscopan but the anti biotics caused other problems so if you do get given those I'd recommend taking a pro biotic to counteract . Please don't just think it will go away and try to soldier on. Get medical attention asap. I'm still mot 100% well even now so don't expect to be well again too soon either. Sorry if I sound negative but better to face the fact that it's a long process after a flare to feel well again . Best of luck.

• Posted

Suggest you take your temperature, then contact your doctor immediately.  Make sure they know you had 3 weeks in hospital with a perforation requiring an operation.  You need to be tested for recurrent infection NOW - don't let them fob you off.  Better to be told no infection, than end up back in hospital.  In the meantime, please stick to clear fluids.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice...temp 37 " I called my colorectal team at the hospital and I've got an appointment tomorrow afternoon.

• Posted

Good, but keep a very close eye on that temperature.  It clearly didn't worry them enough to want to see you immediately, but things can change.

• Posted

Nothing to add except to reinforce that you must take probiotics if you're given antibiotics.  There are many types of capsule available which will give you a good dose of a variety of essential bugs at a time - you should probably take 2 a day.  Perhaps make sure that you always have some form of probiotic (live yoghurt etc) on a daily basis - even when you are not unwell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.