Is this a panic attack??

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been experiencing these weird epysodes for a few months now and was wondering if they were panic attacks. Firstly I'll get a wave of fear/anxiety in the pit of my stomach. I will start hyperventilating and get heart palpitations, hot and cold, dizziness, shortness of breath, restlessness in both forearms, shakiness, feeling detached, sweating, crying, feeling smothered etc. Is this a panic attack or am I just paranoid? Usually these symptoms are brought on by puking (worst fear) or travel but can be out of the blue. I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety so I don't really know what's going on haha, thank you smile

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes Livvy it does sound very much like you are suffering with anxiety attacks.

The question is, what do you think you should be doing about them, just sitting there and panicking, or getting down to see someone who can help you, namely your doctor?

I know which option I would take, and it's not sitting there getting worse.

Best wishes

Rod cool

• Posted

Thank you so much Rod, I feel like I do need help but I'm not really one to open up face to face. I usually keep my feelings bottled up and to myself, which is annoying, even for me but I physically can't talk about what I feel.
    • Posted

Hello again Livvy, I know it must be difficult for you, but you are managing to speak to us through these pages.

As I said before, you seem to have classic anxiety symptoms, and you do need some practical professional help.

Not many people enjoy going to the doctor, but in many cases where we are unable to fix for ourselves what is wrong with us, there is no alternative .

That is why I am recomending that you should muster-up every ounce of inner strength and get yourself down there to see him/her as soon as possible.

I do believe that you will feel much better for having done it.

Best wishes

Rod cool

• Posted

Hi Livvyg

What you have described is classic

Panic related symptoms

You say you've not been diagnosed as of yet . As mentioned by Archemedes I would do something about it rather than just putting it off . this is a great place for information . We're also on here if you need to chat

Regards daz

• Posted

These are classic anxiety symptoms that all of us here are familiar with. You should see your GP when they are starting to affect your daily life and routine but sometimes they are easier to control if you know what works for you. You don't say how old you are or if you have ever had this before, but there are alwYs lots of helpful suggetions on here for helping each other to cope
    • Posted

I'm 15, I'm not sure if that's young, old or just average. Also I've been getting these attacks since maybe September last year?
  • Posted

I agree with most of what everyone else says. It definitely sounds like Panic Attacks to me and you need to see you doctor to have this verified or not but you will need medication for your anxiety so the sooner you go along the better.
  • Posted

Ive been told mine is a discorder but dont know if its true cause i had some one come out and acces me and i was just wondering if there right hope if people have same problem as me hving ur chest feel like jelly all time hope we can all be normal 1 day smile
  • Posted

It does sound like a panic attack to me, from a layman point of view - though I have suffered panic attacks myself in the past. 

Have you tried any deep-breathing exercises, meditation or yoga anthing like that?

Sometimes although you don't believe you are anxious, or stressed out, you still can be. Especially if you've got a very busy, hectic lifestyle, or very emotional times going on in your life. Sometimes, this is your bodies' way of saying that you need to slow down a bit and do things a bit differently. 

• Posted

Well I have an anxiety and stress app on my phone with nose breathing exercises which help for the time I'm doing them, but once I stop the hyperventilation starts again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.