Is this a typical day for anyone else...?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am just on here for a rant ... feel as thoughi am in a rut.... get up several times through the night .... end up going to loo... making a hot drink.... take pain killers  muscle relaxants... sleep in til nearly lunch time.... do exercises on bed.... hobble downstairs for brunch.... try and do chores standing up... end up having to sit .. have to drink tea in the kitchen  as i can't carry a cup and use crutch at the same time.... more painkillers... shower.. sitting down  of course... put pyjamas on ... no point in getting dressed... more exercises... knitting... reading.... looking out at horrible weather... have evening meal.... ... phone my daughter with list of shopping...  more painkillers then bed... and so it goes on.... nearly 10 weeks on.. I am going insane... only been out of house a few times....mostly medical appointments.. rant over....ahhhh

3 likes, 48 replies

Report / Delete

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mary, Your story fills me with horror if that is what I can expect at ten weeks, I wonder what the point is.  Your day describes my day now, and I don't have my surgery until the 28th, I had hoped by ten weeks I would be off crutches and driving again, I am so dreading this surgery.  I do hope your days improve very soon.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Liz

I had my TKR 8 months ago.. by 6 weeks I was walking without crutches and driving again so keep positive.  The 1st few weeks are the hardest but they fly by as long as you do your exercises you will get there! At 10 weeks I'd been on 2 holidays and I think the key to getting through this is doing things differently, getting out and about and excercise!!

Pegs 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi!

Good luck with the op! I'm now 3weeks post op and although it's difficult to sleep at night I get up in the morning at 9am ish, shower, dress and manage a few household tasks such as washing)using my pick stick). I go out for a walk as I'm now meant to be building that up to 20 minutes a day, try to do my exercises and I between I ice my knee while sitting in a chair with my leg elevated watching TV, reading or using my iPad!

This week a friend took me out to lunch but I must confess that after half hour of sitting it was too much but it's early days I guess! Try to be positive as everyone's recovery is different-it's certainly not a walk in the park but just  go for it!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's OK! You can buy them but I borrowed a new rubbish picker stick from the Parish clerk who I share an office with! You'll find those compression pop sox things very difficult to put on but if you're on you're own you can use a plastic bag to help, as although I have a family they've usually left the house by the time I've washed and dressed!

I've just had a back pack handbag delivered so that I can carry my purse etc when I go on walks as you can't carry anything with two sticks!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Goenda. I have been fortunate as in I work in a hospital and the OT has lent me pick up stick and shoe assister. I might get some chair raisers which they offered today, don't know whether I will need them. The haversack is a great idea, thanks 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

PS I invested in some pull on clothing eg tracksuit/jogging bottoms and pull on tops and structured flat shoes (slippers hopeless as floppy and you can't get them on!)that go on without having to bend down as it's very difficult to get dressed!

I now shop on line for food and the delivery man brings it into the kitchen and puts it on the work surfaces for me! Anything to keep going until I can get back to 'normal'!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Susan, keeping everything crossed for you tomorrow, please report back as soon as you feel able.  Which part of the country are you?   Good luck, good luck, good luck!!!!cheesygrin
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ah Mary you poor thing.

Not suprised you feel in a rut,  why haven't you been out?  Can you or are you able to drive?  If not could you not go shopping with your daughter and pick your own groceries up? Use the trolley as support, the shops are all festive now  and just seing faces in the supermarket will do you good, you need a change of scenery and some fresh air which will help with the sleep .  Do you still need to walk with crutches what does physio say as mostly they advise walking without them by 6-8 weeks. 

It's horrible when you get into a rut but you just need that pattern change.  This forum is about ranting and we have all been there so know how you feel.

take care

Pegs x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

So sorry your feeling like this at 10 weeks and really feel for you. Don't know if this will help but I felt like this at 4 weeks and decided to do something about it got up one morning and decided that it would jot beat me and I went out only outside the front door and about 10 steps Down The road but I did that every day and walked further everyday  this started to give me my confidence back. I'm now at 9 weeks and have just come back from a Long weekend in Cornwall ( I love in Barnsley) on a coach trip on which i went on my own and didn't not take my crutches. Had a fantastic time met some lovely people and although tired and very achy I did it. Hope this helps and good luck in your journey xx
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up