Is This An Odd Question?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm riding my bicycle today, and I'm wondering, is it possible to have an anxiety problem while spinning, I would say, no. Or doing a bench press, or any form of exerxise, I mean really, your concentrating on using your body to perform a physical act, it would be, in my estimation, impossible.

So, go to a spinning class, do a century, throw some weights around, and maybe that, OMG, what is wrong with me stuff will go away, or at least diminish.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My take on this is, one can have anxiety no matter what one is doing since it[s in the mind where it originates. I had a  ton of stress while I was performing, trying out for the Dallas Summer theater, but that is diferent. I  was on stage and had performance anxiety. Still, it's in the underlying thoughts that those fears pop up and who knows, it's hard to track down one's thoughts consistently. You could have been over doing it and just a general physiological reaction to what you were doing could cause it. perhaps if you just did one or two excercises and see how you feel doing this and if it makes any difference, you may come up with your answer. 
    • Posted

My point was, if your doing something your enjoying such as exercising it would be a positive experience. If your at the gym, and your goal is to lose weight, body build, condition, release tension, these are positive things, however if your in a stressful environment, say competing I can see where there would be cause for anxiety, but doing physical activity for your own benefit, IMO there wouldn't be much cause to panic.
  • Posted

Anxiety is like breathing.
    • Posted

Sure just like you cant do anything without breathing be it sleeping, walking, relaxing the same can also be said about anxiety it will happen regardless of what your doing.

Depression you can use mind over matter even severe depression but anxiety is the proverbial thorn in your side its not going anywhere.

unfortunately

• Posted

Anxiety, the primitive remains of the fight or flight syndrome thats kept alive for many reasons, mostly self punishment, or misinterpreted body conditions thats brought to the big screen, in surround sound, with you as the star. It's all scripted, memorized, conditioned for that dramatic scene of panic. But frankly it got boring, SOS day after day, for what, doesn't pay the bills, just made me feel like sh*t. 

It doesn't have to be a thorn unless pain is a friend, for some maybe thats the case. I prefer to do a feel good movie where the ending is really the beginning of peace, and calm, like after a workout with endorphins pumping instead of adrenaline.

• Posted

I suffered depression for many, many years, and I found it was not mind over matter in my case.  It was a very difficult thing to dealo with.  Anxiety usually accompanies depression.  My doctor persuaded me to stop anti depressants last year, but the anxiety has come back with a vengeance.  I am not sure that depression is easier to deal with than anxiety, as have had both.  

Why does my anxiety pop up from nowhere?

• Posted

I think anxiety can come on in any situation.  Mine does.  I will be doing something and concentrating on it when suddenly I am feeling anxio9us and don't know why.  I awake and get anxious thinking I am alone.  I keep busy, but still this jittery, shaky feeling pops up out of nowhere.  I am a senior citizen, and the most strenous thing I do is go for walks.  Where this anxiety comes from I don't know.  It is not due to a specific thing, just likes to visit.  Hard to control, but I try.  Seems we all suffer in one way or another.

I wish I knew what the answer was.  Why does anxiety come from nowhere?

• Posted

I too am a senior citizen, and just came back from an intense workout, I'm not bragging, but giving my take on being jittery. The only apprehension I had today was going heavier on the weights doing preacher curls. I hadn't done this weight in a while, but when I was doing reps, I realized the appreshension was in my mind. Once again "in my mind", not really nervous but that what if feeling was there. I was thinking of my age, what am I nuts doing these heavy workouts, but they make me feel good the more I do them. This senior citizen doesn't want to sit home wondering where anxiety comes from, I'd rather challenge myself. Maybe challenging in other directions is the key to the OMG what is happening to me. Wny not challenge, age is academic, choose something that your sure you can't do, then just do it, without excuses, you'll be surprised at yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.