Is this anxiety?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I constantly feel like my chest is too small for my lungs and I can't get in enough air. I feel nervous but I'm not thinking about anything that would cause such a feeling. Just wondering since I've been feeling this a lot lately and would like to get to the bottom of it.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi chloe, try to look for things that have happened in your life, even very small and insignificant things. Like when you are out walking and some hoodies run up the road past you. You might think "Oh my word they are going to push me over" or you went to the shop and a shop assistant treated you with disrespect, not looking at you or speaking to you and carrying on a conversation with a colleague and all she wanted was your money, that makes you mad and you mull on it when you are going home. Why did she do that? What would have happened to me if  them hoodies  had pushed me into the road. There has always got to be a trigger for anxiety and panic. Everyone in the world has anxiety, from the Pontive to the Dalli Lamma. Take care chloe and try to chill sometime that you are on your own and it is quiet. Peter.
    • Posted

Thank you Peter. I have been trying to find a trigger and usually there is one but once in a while it seems like it is for no reason at all. Perhaps I just need to look harder...
    • Posted

Hi there chloe, Freelancewriter has put it in a nut shell and do not forget that some of your thoughts and feelings are subconscious even though they are there you cannot distinguish between the concsious thoughts and the subconscious thoughts. They are part of you, your minds makeup. 

When you are born your mind is what is called a Tabula-Rasa, a clean slate, you have not learned anything whilst in the comfort of your mothers womb.

When you are young and growing up you learn from others how to deal with the world around you. These are called schemas. You will build up a multitude of them throughout your life time. Learning is a life long process, so you can develop a Schema later in life and it might be bad or it could be good. The bad ones can cause anxiety and the good ones make you feel happy and contented. I hope I have explained everything correctly and hope that you will learn that you can make up you own good Schema or more than one called Schemata. Take care of yourself and good luck with developing your own Schema. Peter

• Posted

Peter you are right! A lot of our thoughts and feeling are subconscious. I just wrote an article on that very topic! And some of us who have anxiety disorders come from a traumatic/abusive childhood and the anxiety stems from the unresolved feelngs of abuse and triggers from the past bring on the anxiety..this is why seeing a therapist would help you find out why you are suffering from anxiety...get tot he root cause so that you can find healing.
    • Posted

Thank you, you both were very helpful and I will definitely take you up on your advice.
  • Posted

I do that a lot also. You are suffering from hyperventilation and it's nothing to be alarmed about...you just need to learn to relax. Meditattion helps and so does deep slow breathing. When you feel like you cannot get enough air in try some deep slow breathing and you can also try meditating for a few minutes to calm your system down. Breathing into a paper bag for a few minutes helps also...and if you have to take some anti-anxiety meds that your doc perscribes  
    • Posted

The slow breathing and meditating does help, as does listening to music to take my mind off of it. Another thing that came to mind was that my mom also suffers from anxiety. Now I'm not sure if it can be genetic but maybe a gene that makes us more susceptible to it?
  • Posted

Chloe I have been suffering from anxiety panic attacks for about a year now and yes chest pressure, feeling out of breath and heart palpitations are what happened to me! Which is defiantly a scary symptom! You just need to rule out any heart conditions!
  • Posted

Hi chloe, is it answers to your insecurity, general advice or just reassurance synonme. Synonme is a state of mind that some people get in to continually feel the need of reassurance. Chloe,try to remember that anxiety can and does formulate as physical symptoms, from aches and pains to strange illnesses and changes in the way the body works. The heart speeds up, you can have palputations or other heart irregularities, wide pupils, butterflyies in the tummy, the urgency to wee, your muscles start to feel hot  and so does your face. Blushing means that you are ready to stand up and fight or the hot leg muscles are for running like mad away from the inpending danger to you. However these symptoms vary from persoon to person. Some people get some really strange feelings in their body but you might never get, unless you have heard that another symptom has come along. Anxiet feeds anxiety making your problem even worse. This is why you should deal with your physical symptoms and not other peoples. Try not to make comparisons with other people. The onle reason that I am telling you this Chloe is that you will not be able to control your behaviours if you keep hearing of new ones. Do not forget either that I read all the posts from this forum and all the rest to make a comparison so I can give inpartial assistance and help.

Take care of your self and continue to use the deep breathing excersises until you can do them anywhere and at any time,so helping to reduce the free flow of adrenaline. Peter

• Posted

Peter you are absolutely right. I used to be pretty bad about comparing symptoms and as a result thought I had many more than i actually do. However, I have been better lately about just listening to my body; if I need a moment to compose myself, I try and find a quiet place to do so. The purpose of my post was to try and get a general idea of what is going on with be before I go see a doctor and to make sure I'm not going mad...You are very wise though and your advice is very much appreciated. Thanks for you help smile
  • Posted

Hi Chloe, Anxiety is the mind and bodies reaction to a situation you see or more accurately "believe" as unsafe. It causes the basic response of Fight / Flight or Freeze. It releases adrenaline and can cause the physical symptoms you mention. Yes you can and need to relax, and this will help as can medication, but the root problem is how you see life in general. Invariably people who suffer from phobias (irrational fear) are very negative in their though style, whereas people who don't suffer are (in general) quite positive in their thinking. Equally after a short while, negative thinking people begin to "expect" things to go wrong, or worse still, "look" for problems. You can easily identify a negative thinker as they will (when faced with a problem) not just get on with it, they'll be finding excuses why they can't "because" or I'd like to "but"... I'm not saying you're overall negative, just in a small part of your life, but that is bugging you and hence you focus on it. Also if there is a perfectionist trait in your thinking, you'll not be satisfied until you're feeling 110%, 99% won't do and you constantly seek the 1%, resulting in disappointment.

After all of that - how to resolve the temporary problem...

Firstly - Get out and about, do things you enjoy. Think of it as recharging your batteries, you know if you feel flat, everything "seems" harder to do. See friends, party on, or even just go for a walk. It is also distracting your mind from thinking about "it" . 

Secondly - Take responsibility for "it". It is your problem and you need to resolve it. What I'm saying is that you have a choice, think about "it" or, preferably not.

Thirdly - Positively notice yourself thinking about "it", STOP. Decide to think about what you want. A bit like an annoying tune you want to get rid of out of your head.

Fourthly - To make a change start small, but DO something. Anything positive you do will make you feel better.

Fifth - When you do start to feel better keep it going. Once you think you're there NEVER stop using the techniques you've learned.

Finally, any questions please just ask. It really is easy to overcome once you believe you can

• Posted

thats how it happens but also get a full blood work done, and if possible check for heart or kidney issues etc which from my countless hours of research can cause symptoms like that and once you can rule that out try some natural supplements and see if they work for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.