Is this anxiety? Racing thoughts, vivid dreams while half asleep?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, recently i have been struggling with dissociation and low grade anxiety. I had a few high anxiety experiences earlier in the year but the dissociation is my main problem. However, recently i have been having problems with sleep. My thoughts start to race and its as if i am going to lose contact with reality but i never do. My dreams are vivid even the voices in the dreams are clear. All this is scaring me. Earlier in the year i had similar experiences in my sleep but the dreams and thoughts were not vivid. Could this be a symptom of anxiety? Bcuz there seems to be no other explanation. I mean i am still intact with reality.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I also have this and it all came part and parcel with my anxiety...

I was having vivid dreams about someone walking into my room and just staring at me sleeping and I had sleep paralysis a few times which is terrifying!

The racing thoughts r hard to stop for me which send me into a fit of panic, I kind of work round that now by going to bed with my boyfriend at same time, he watches youtube for a while n i usually fall asleep...

Hope this helps, good luck x

• Posted

I do have sleep paralysis sometimes too. But thanks for ur story it helped a bit.
  • Posted

Yes, this is very much connected with anxiety. Are you on any medication of having therapy?
    • Posted

I started therapy earlier in the year and it helped somewhat but i had to postpone it due to exams for school. However, i recently resumed therapy a few weeks ago, and while it help me to be optimistic its not as effective like it was earlier. but i am still doing it though. As far as medications, i was prescribed buspar but i only take it as needed. However i may start to take it on a prolonged basis.
  • Posted

Hello nicholod88570,

Let me start off by saying that I am not a doctor by any means. However, I do live with depression/anxiety and know exactly what you are experiencing. When I was a teenager I would have vivid, worrisome half-dreams (like daydreams on the verge of sleep). None of them seemed to make any logical sense but one thing was clear; they were riddled with anxiety. I remember one in particular where I was supposed to count a pile of pennies within an undetermined timeframe but the pile of pennies kept getting larger and larger until it was clear that there would be no chance I could ever finish. I assume this was anxiety about failure.

I have lived with depression/anxiety for decades and only in the last couple of years have I gotten help for it. You should research the symptoms of anxiety on reputable websites. Ask yourself seriously if you share these symptoms. If you honestly do, get help. Don't wait decades.

If I could go back and tell that teenager to tell someone about what he was experiencing, I likely would have led a fuller, more emotionally-stable life.

Best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.