Is this because I’ve stopped citalopram ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

HELLO . I NEED SOME ADVICE REALLY . I HAVE BEEN ON CITALOPRAM FOR JUST COMING UP TO 3 YEARS AND HAD ONLY EVER TAKEN 10MG . I HAD GRADUALLY TAPERED RIGHT DOWN SO THAT IT WAS PRACTICALLY NOTHING , BUT THEN LAST WEEK I STARTED THE FLU / STOMACH BUG , SO HAVENT TAKEN IT SINCE . THE THING IS NOW I HAVE BAD REFLUX AND MY STOMACH STILL FEELS OFF . IS THIS JUST THE REMAINS OF THE BUG OR IS IT TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT I AM NOT TAKING THE TABLETS ANYMORE ? IT WAS SUCH A SMALL AMOUNT , PRACTICALLY A CRUMB . I HAVE BEEN DOWN TO THAT DOSE FOR QUITE SOMETIME , BUT WAS JUST WONDERING . THE REASON THAT I WENT ON IT WAS FOLLOWING THE DEATH IF MY MUM AND STARTING PERIMENOPAUSE SYMPTOMS , SO IVE HAD A ROUGH FEW YEARS . NOW THIS BUG HAS KNOCKED ME FOR SIX AND LEFT ME FEELING DRAINED AND DEPRESSED , BUT I GUESS THATS QUITE NORMAL

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm recovering from the same but and my stomach has been off for over a week now. on hearing from others (not on citalopram) its usual. I think for those of us on any medication its tempting to think it may be our meds that cause symptoms and not look to see if its something thats going around the general population. If it still concerns you have a chat with your doc. There may be another reason for the reflux. Hope this helps

• Posted

Should say same bug and not same but....

• Posted

hi, its the cit, im tapering and constantly have flu like symptoms which is normal

• Posted

It's horrible. I went back onto 10mg at the end of last August, and about every three to four weeks I feel as if I'm coming down with something. I get really shivery and achey for a couple of days, and have bad headaches. Have just sussed it's a side effect.

• Posted

hi ruth i get the same as u , every 3/4 weeks but i have just worked out that mine is when its a week before my period cpuld ypurs be the same ? i also have such bad headaches which is part hormones amd part cit . ive been on these 15 weeks now , its so tiring this long wait to feel lime "me" again

kind regards

• Posted

Hi Nicola,

It does feel like a long wait. For me, I'm post menopause, but am sure my hormones are still fluctuating and this is affecting how the meds work.

Am keeping track of the pattern for the next few months.

20 weeks for me now, definitely more settled but its still a long old slog. Stress doesn't help.

Best wishes to you, we will survive.

• Posted

Hi Jane,even if you are only taken 10 mgs citrolopram and you stop ,you will still get a few side effects ,but yes it could be caused by still having the flu bug ,and could also be caused by stopping the 10 mgs citrolopram.

• Posted

Hi Jane, could possibly be the cit, could still be the bug, likely a combination of both.

If you've had a gut bug then your gut microbes and good gut bacteria will all be out of whack, which we now know has a link to depression. Happy gut, happy mind. I would recommend concentrating on eating healthily, or as healthily as you can at the moment. Also, might be worth drinking some kefir or eating some sauerkraut, good probiotics, which will start to restore good gut bacteria.

Also, I have experienced withdrawal from coming off just taking a crumb of cit before. Was down to 2.5, and came off, withdrawal didn't really hit me until later down the line but it came. So yes, that is possible.

• Posted

I've been fully off, for a year, in 2015. Since being on 20mg from January 2008, and very slowly weaning off from 2013.

Stupidly, I went clubbing in early 2016 and took mdma, and basically triggered a big relapse.

Went back on 10mg in April 2016, and had tapered down to 2.5mg by May 2017. Was still on that dose in May 2018, because of stressful living situation, didn't feel it was right time to come off. Unfortunately, stress and menopause got the better of me at that point, I mucked around with dosage all last summer until remaining at 10mg at end of Aug 2018.

Still trying to fully stabilise at that dose, it's been a long slog.

So sorry you are having a rough time. It really can be hell waiting for nervous system to settle....

• Posted

The trick I believe is to do not just an annual career appraisal ( which is really for your position and effectiveness within theorganisation that pays your salary) but an annual career review. This is an altogether different animal to the appraisal. medikamentebi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.