Is this depersonalization?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I took Sertraline five days ago and had bad side effects so I stopped them after three days. After it, I felt weird and like there is pressure inside my head. It's almost like I look at things and they aren't real, they don't look the same anymore to me. I'm worried I will feel like this for weeks or months or forever. 

I just want to feel myself again before I took this medication, because I did not feel like this at all before. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I think I have replied to a couple of your posts already and have just re read your posts. In the past five days you have come off one SSRI and gone on to another, come off that because of the side effects and asked for a medication to help calm you but rather than taking it you looked at the side effects and didn't take it. You were on these medications for anxiety and depression and without sounding rude you are showing symptoms of both right now and even a touch of paranoia. I mean all this in good faith because right now I think you need to calm right down and pause a moment. Medication is a tool and unfortunately they often make us worse before better. In five days you have put yourself through hell and you need to clear you mind and remember why you are where you are. It seems like your illness has fooled you into doing things that work in its favour, like a self destructive tendency.

I say all this with the best of intentions and based on what you have written, I hope you understand I only say what I see and if I am wrong then forgive me

• Posted

Thanks for your response, David. 

It makes sense what you were saying and I agree. Thanks again. : )

• Posted

We are all here for each other, I know you would help me just the same my friend 😀🙏
  • Posted

I think it's worth remembering that you don't need to be on medication if you don't want to be. I choose therapy instead of meds as I'm not prepared to deal with the side effects, do that may be a better option. You'll never find a side effect free medication I'm afraid
  • Posted

I've not seen any of your post before, but I think you need to, if you can, discuss this with a medically qualified person (GP or pharmasist).  They will be able to tell you what you might expect feel and how to use and come of the medications you may be on.  

Your question about suffering from depersonalisation and the symptoms you have may be that, but you need expert help.  

• Posted

Hi

I can totally relate, when i stopped taking sertraline because of bad side effects i too felt similiar to what you are describing, Spaced out, wasn't really me, Pressure in head, laughing at stuff for no reason etc. it slowly went away though after a few days. hope this helps a little.

• Posted

Thanks, nsp.

I felt a little better today with regards to the spaced out effect. It comes in waves though today. Guess I'll just have to wait it out. 

Did you feel better after it had gone? 

• Posted

Yes, and once you understand a bit about it.  All sorts of things can cause it, but when its linked to withdrawal effects its more frightening and to you'r in a very high state of anxiety anyway, so it just magnifys it.  I can feel strange when I'm hungrey or stressed, but thats easier to cope with.  So glad you are feeling better today. Try and remember, if you have a bad day, it won't last forever and you can feel much better, like today!  I try to do that, as I still have 'bad/' days and still battle medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.