Is this diverticula disease?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had an endoscopy in Jan 2014 after years of having a pain in my lower left side of my abdomen.  The endoscopy was unsuccessful due to 'fixity' (a term used by the consultant) of the seigmoid colon which meant that he could get no further without the risk of damaging my colon.  It was painful when he reached the point at 'fixity'.  I was told that I had diverticular disease and given advice on diet etc.

For about the last few weeks, I have been experiencing pain in the same area, but this pain is now extending what feels like through my pelvis and into my lower back just above the buttock.  I am wondering if this is because of the 'fixity' (think this means that the colon has attached itself to the abdomen wall) or could it be an ovary issue.  This only seems to happen when I am lying on my right side when I go to bed.  As soon as I lie on my back the pain disappears.  Perhaps the colon is pulling when I lay on my right side.  Could this be the diverticula disease?

Any helpful suggestions would be most welcome.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you should go back to your doctors. Especially as they could not get a clear view of all of your colon. You may need another attempt of endoscopy or a ct or mri scan. Diverticulitis normally hurts in any position. Admittedly its easing up when I lie down in fetal position and increases when I stand up, sit down or bend over. But its consistent majority of the time. Same goes with the flares. its like a throbbing, cramping pain. I feel very sore to touch.  Stomache swells up and I cant wear tight fitting clothes. Any pressure on stomache makes it worse. It might still be diverticulitis but for own peace of mind get yourself checked out by your gp.
    • Posted

Hello and many thanks for your reply.

I can't wear tight fitting clothes either, really uncomfortable if I do.  I have had to buy clothes with elastic waist or a size too big. 

I forgot to mention that after the endoscopy was a failure, I was sent straight afterwards for a CT scan.  My whole bowel was filled with air (I thought I was going to burst!) and then the pictures were taken.  I was mighty relieved when the air was let out. 

Apart from the pain in the left side, I have a lump in the abdomen about an inch down from the belly button.  This was what prompted the doctor to send me for endoscopy.  I was told that the lump was just the bowel pressing on the abdomen wall and nothing untoward was found on the CT scan.

I might go back to the doctors to rule out anything else as you suggest.

Best wishes

Marie

• Posted

Sorry using my phone cut off my reply. You need to go back to Dr. To get disgnosed and tested properly. It could be a no. Of things.
  • Posted

Sounds like a hernia. That's guts spilling out through tears in abdominal wall, well its still underneath the skin. They can be painful too. And what's more is they can be fixed surgically. But do go see doctors again. They can advice you better. Good luck! Let us know how you get on
    • Posted

My doctor checked for hernia and didn't think that was the problem.  I have a new doctor now and I have booked an appointment.  It is not until next month but I shall let you know how I get on.

Best wishes

Marie

• Posted

Hi

More confused than ever. I saw my Dr. Was put on antibiotics was so sick this weekend i ended up at emergency. The Dr. In ER said c he did not know what it was. He said it could be an abscess . He sent me back to my Dr and to refer me for a scan. I go tomorrow. Still in pain.

• Posted

Hi Vivian

I hope you get this sorted out asap.  I am surprised that A&E did not do any investigations while you were there.

Marie

• Posted

Paycuts. Unless there is a very strong clinical indication to scan they refer back to gp to cut the cost to the emergency department. It's all about the money, money, money!. I'm praying for you Vivian that you get sorted. I am not sure if it's too reassuring but at least if can't be systemic what's going on wuth you or they would have paid fir the scan. An abcess can be drained and hopefully you get your scan soon and answers

• Posted

Hi

Thank you. I figured exactly that. It is about the money. I feel awful again today. Thd antibiotics give losd bowels and nausea. Is if possible to havs an abscess without fever?

Vivian

• Posted

Yes it's possible. It can be walled off. I read some research done on patients with chronic abdominal pain secondarily to divertcular disease. Of these 75 patients, 100% had inflammation in the colon when they operated on them. One even had a hidden abcess. All these patients had no raised inflammatory markers on their blood works. Nor did they have fever. The abcess can be tucked away and will only make a fuss once it's getting too big for its environment. Or

• Posted

hope you can help me. I s freaked out. Saw my GP. He said it could be my IBS but was not too convinced. He said maybe a partial bowel obstruction. Sent me for a ultrasound. I have to make an appt. I was doing some research and I found that the main cause for large bowel obstructions are malignant tumors first and diverticulitis second. I am getting scared. My blood work was normal. Does that mean anything?

Vivian

• Posted

It is true that tumours are a major cause of bowel obstructions. It is also true ongoing continous infection in the gut cause something called strictures. We diverticular diseases sufferers are more prone to get these strictures. Vivian, there is no way to tell what is causing your problems without having you properly invesitgated. Ultrasounds dont see too much. A CT scan with contrast or even MRI is preferred but might come further down the line for you. I beleive it would take longer to book one of them too and ultrasound would give a a preliminary picture of what is going on.  Say it was a tumour causing your symptoms, you have a lot better chance of full recovery the quicker it is found. The success rate in early detection is very good. Cancer is causing a whole lot of other symptoms too. Anaemia, bleeding, weightloss, I know these can be a part of diverticular symptoms too. The fact you had blood tests and they are normal is quite reassuring. However they still need to dig deeper to rule out anything else.

If it is a partial obstruction they will most likely need another endo/coloscopy and perhaps surgery down the line depending on the findings. I suggest until you know what the cause is to have a sloppy diet. Lots of soups. Try and prevent constipation at all cost. You might be having diaorrhea with constipation beleive it or not. If the colon is obstructed it will only let water past hence watery diaorrhea. Or nothing. Depends on severity/ cause of obstruction. Partial obstruction can move onto full obstruction so be observant if your pain gets worse or if you cant pass gas. If this happens you need to go to a and e straight away.

I understand you feel worried. Just try and hang in there and lets hope for the best. Im keeping my fingers crossed for you. Get yourself booked in for your scan and take it from there.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. Much appreciated. I haven't been able to work this week so my mind is going everywhere. You made a good point about the bloodwork. Although I have lost weight there was no anemia when I had my blood work done at Emergency. I am so upset they didn't do an ultrasound there. Even my GP was surprised. There are only two locations nearby. I have to call myself this morning to book the ultrasound. My GP said he would rather do an ultrasound before a CT because of the radiation involved. He also took away Cymbalta that I had been previously on for anxiety. He said I am likely to feel nauseated for a couple of days. Sorry too caugt up in my own misery, but I never asked, how are you doing?

Vivian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.