is this dp/dr?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had really bad dp/dr when I was in high school  where I felt like I was loosing my mind. I was going through some tough times then. That was my only symptom. Now, about 6 years later I get hit by massive anxiety with depression, shortness of breath, chest pain, tingling, shaking, you name it. The doc started me on prozac but since I had horrible reactions to the other two antidepressants he let me start at just 1/4th a 10mg pill. When I first started, at just 1/4th it made me really sleepy and depressed from day one but my panic attacks were gone. I felt depressed and didn't wanna get out of bed. Couple weeks later this subsided and i am now on half of the 10mg prozac. agan i feel sleepy all day and more depressed. In addition now i feel a little like in a dreamy state. like i can't focus on my surrounding or my university homework. Like I'm not awake but in a dream. It sometimes feels like I'm going crazy, this weird sensation in my head I can't put to words. 

Is this related to upping the prozac dose? should I stop or will this eventually subside? Is this dp/dr? Is it anxiety? sad 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Is the feeling the same as you felt in high school?
    • Posted

yes same as i felt in high school. if in high school severity was 10 out of 10, now its like 2 out of 10. it was alot worse than. 
  • Posted

Most of the time throughout my depression I felt almost like I was in a dreamlike state everything seems real I guess but I just felt really out of it. If that makes sense.
    • Posted

yes thats how i feel too. everything seems real but im still confused and sleepy. i can't seem to focus. this didnt happen before prozac though. sad 
  • Posted

Hi...sounds like Prozac is not the med for you.

Don't stop it until you talk to the Dr...but try another med.

• Posted

ugh, ive tried Lexapro (got a swallen throat feeling) and zoloft (was jittery and shaky at just 1 doze) already. Now this with prozac sad i want to give up on antidepressants... 
    • Posted

I wanted to give up too...started searching at 35 finally..found the right medication at 41.  Citalopram (Celexa)...you have to keep  trying something will work.
    • Posted

You know it's so hard. I'm on my senior year of university and all these meds are getting in the way of my studying because I just don't feel stable enough to concentrate. I already take lorazepam 1mg for my panic and that helps alot. But unfortunately it's so addictive that I struggle to keep the same dose. For this reason my doc wants me off of the lorazepam and onto antidepressants.
    • Posted

You know it's so hard. I'm on my senior year of university and all these meds are getting in the way of my studying because I just don't feel stable enough to concentrate. I already take lorazepam 1mg for my panic and that helps alot. But unfortunately it's so addictive that I struggle to keep the same dose. For this reason my doc wants me off of the lorazepam and onto antidepressants.
    • Posted

I'm in the exact same position with Ativan 1mg. I think I could be addicted but I can't stop it now because my anti depressants haven't started

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.