is this feeling food getting stuck? really worried

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am waiting for an ultrasound scan and endoscopy.  I suffer from GERD and have been for a number of years.  Just lately i am getting really worried as i have a feeling of a dull pain under my right shoulder blade and i can feel a lump in my throat when i swallow - could this be a symptom of food getting stuck in my throat somewhere?  i am scaring myself stupid thinking i've got oesphagul cancer :-(

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Pain in your right shoulderblade after eating can be your gallbladder.

Lumps pretty normal with gerd just the acid irritated the throat i find a few days of letting some manuka honey melt in my mouth & down my throat calms it. Feels a bit like its burning but works fab

• Posted

Today (touch wood!) i don't feel too bad with discomfort under right shoulder blade and lump in throat but i have recently been taking some multi digestive enzyme tablets to help my symptoms as i have heard they are very good so will see.   Just wondering though, if it turns out NOT to be gallstones or gallbladder what else could it be?
  • Posted

Hi Raffaela,

So sorry to hear of your swallowing problems. I, like you, have had this problem for over 6 years and it's so debilitating. I've had scans, scopes and barium meals to check the swallow and there's nothing there. I've found out I have an 'echo swallow' which means after swallowing there's a reflex mini swallow afterwards. I do this unconsciously but it's because I keep thinking food is stuck (like you). The one thing I've learned is to keep as calm as possible because a lot of the time it's the fear of not being able to swallow as opposed to the actual inability to swallow. Give the echo swallow a try and let me know how you get on. Panic only makes it worse so try and relax.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi I am having this and being told by GP it is GERD, my problem is the constant pain in centre of chest and sore sternum area. Feels sort of raw and makes me want to cough as if to clear something. GP said she did not think it was oeshogeul cancer as I can still eat and am not being sick. Mine too goes into right shoulder and has just started around right rib cage, so wondering about gall bladder. All started to go last week but now back again so will have to go back to GP. The pain does not feel like the usual burnig of acid and I take esomeprasol but will give the honey a go.
  • Posted

I've been to see my GP again today regarding this feeling of pressure/discomfort under my right shoulder blade.  She said that it points to a muscular problem.  I told her that it feels like food has got stuck but she said that it is mainly felt at the front, chest area and that if food was getting stuck, i would be coughing it up.  She has now changed my medication back to Omeprazole and i will be on 40mg daily.  I also asked for some Diazepam as i know i am getting myself worked up while i am waiting for my tests.  Do you think i should believe her about it being a muscular issue or could she be wrong and i am right? :-(
  • Posted

would never second-guess my doctor but it doesn't stop you from getting a second opinion if you're really unsure about her diagnosis.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up