Is this from the antibiotics?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Treating my diverticulitis with strong doses of Augmentin, which is one of the few antibiotics I can tolerate. This is day 4 and although the pain is significantly better and I have no fever, I feel really wrung out.. like I have the flu. Achy, tired, zero appetite, even kinda down and blah. Could this be from taking the antibiotics? Don't know what to blame it on.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Glad the pain is lessening.  What you are feeling is absolutely typical of this disease, as though you have had all the stuffing knocked out of you.  If you read through some of these posts you will find that a lot of people have felt exactly the same as you.  The antibiotics may have contributed as well.  It will take some time to regain your energy, and comparing it to recovering from flu is a pretty good analogy.  Just hang in there, rest, and keep taking plenty of fluids.
  • Posted

Could be. I had similar symptoms when I was on antibiotics. DD does make me feel awful so could be both x
  • Posted

Hi,

I like you couldn't make out if was the anti or the D. I had cronic diarrhoea with the D and then the antis did the same. I have been out of hospital for two weeks now and still feel so weak and tired. Thanks to this forum I now know it's all part and parcel of the D. Please look through the forum, it really will help you as it has me. I stayed in my loo for most of two days with diarrhoea with a small chair and a book as it was so bad I wouldn't have been able to make it up the stairs! You may feel okish one day but down the next, it's, for me, the way it is at the moment. According to my dear 'helpers' on this forum it can take between four to six weeks to start feeling well again.

I really hope this info has been helpful to you. Oh, by the way, I'm a scareddcat too, your not alone.

• Posted

It's quite normal to feel like this. I had 4 days last week of a DD flare up. I didn't need antibiotics because as it was mild I controlled it with diet etc. Like you I am feeling better and the pain has subsided however I feel completely rung out no energy or get up and go no appetite etc. Mentioned it to my neices partner who is a Dr and he said it was to be expected after a week of flare up. Take care and you are not alone. Angela

• Posted

I guess what puzzles me is the fact that my WBC count was normal and I had no fever, so it's not an infection making me feel this poorly. Seems like most/many of the people on this forum had a lot worse case than what I'm complaining about!. In other words, I wouldn't expect to feel so sick since the CT scan showed that it was just mild. Guess my name is fitting, alright.

• Posted

Don't worry I am just the same and I overthink everything forever lookin for reasons why this or that happened!

Latest worry is I went to the opticians who said my pressures behind eyes were slightly raised (seeing an eye dr next week) By the time I got home was convinced I was going blind!! Oh dear no hope! Do hope you feel better soon as horrid when you feel sick.

• Posted

If its consolation I tend to feel rubbish for some time after the fever stage has passed - also the ABs (my Dr's weapon of choice is metronidazole) leaves a bad taste in the mouth (and I dont mean the awful taste if you make the mistake of tasting a pill!) plus (curiously) I get a furry tongue ... go figure! So it all sounds typical DD to me Mr Cat!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up