Is this genital or oral herpes or neither?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, I was recently with someone that told me they had genital herpes.  We were safe and she was on suppressive therapy.  Unfortunately, I started showing some signs of herpes; malaise, fatigue, nerve issues, photophobia.  I did not have any lesions.  I took the IGG blood test (this was 4 months after last sexual encounter) and my oral was 15.5 and genital was 1.1. (I have always know I have oral). I am going today to get the Western Blot since my HSV2 was only 1.1.  I now have been noticing about once a week for the past few weeks red dots on my buttocks.  I have uploaded some pictures.  Is this consistent with herpes?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hard to tell from the pics but I would say with a degree of confidence that the red dots you describe and have shown in your pic upload is not Herpes but of course one cannot be certain. They look more like a hive or the effects of a dust mite from soft furnishing.

The Genital Herpes rash and later sore initially appears on the foreskin within a day or so following a tingling itchy sensation. Later on it most always presents itself on the upper inner thigh close to the groin and Lymph Node glands. You may notice a slight swelling or peanut shaped lump in your groin, usually right side. This will subside following the outbreak.

The sores or rash will always present as a raised whitish cluster, appearing as off white or light grey coloured blister bubbles. (almost like a small cluster of tiny eggs in appearance)  Later, in 3/5 days or perhaps less the blister will dissipate and become a scab which will take anywhere from 10 to 20 days to fully heal but may take some while longer for the epidermis (outer skin) to completely recover to normal with no visible sign of any lesion having ever been present. No scarring will remain when completely healed 

Accompanying the initial outbreak one will notice tingling and followed by localised stiffness and aching in the groin area and upper thigh and even in the buttocks. This will pass following the initial outbreak within a couple of days.

however a topical antiseptic cream could be used to help aid and speed recovery.

I hope the above is of some help to you.

• Posted

I would not say that herpes lesions *always* present in a certain way. The whole problem with herpes is that it can present in many different ways!! E.g., the so-called "classic" blister cluster, scattered single blisters, a lone blister, red bumps/pimples, ulcers, tears, etc. That's why it's often mistaken for other things, like an ingrown hair, regular pimple, insect bite, yeast or jock itch.

But I don't think it looks or sounds like genital herpes either.

• Posted

DeBruce, I appreciate your response.  The only thing typical about my presentation that you have mentioned is the right groin ache.  I have had this weird ache for about 4 months now.  My neuro thinks it is some kindof femoral neuropathy.  It's very confusing.  I have heard though that some men only get red dots on their butt similar to what I have.  I think the next time I get a new one I will have to get it swabbed because I have had nothing like what you have posted.  I guess the Western Blot blood test will confirm or deny.  Still so confused.
    • Posted

I agree FelisCatus.  All I have done the last few months is read forum after forum regarding what a breakout looks like.  I found this forum where it is easy to post pics so that's what I did.  I think the only way to really know is when I see one pop up in the future is to run to my Derm and get it swabbed.  Thank you for your response.
    • Posted

When did you first notice your symptoms and what does 1.1 equal on the ref range? Just curious. Also, since you already have HSV-1, if you were to have acquired HSV-2, there's a higher chance that you'd be asymptomatic instead of exhibiting weekly symptoms (also uncharacteristic of HSV).

I doubt you have it, but it sounds like you need a swab for peace of mind. Bear in mind that viral culture swabs on recurrent outbreaks are less accurate. A DNA/PCR lesion swab would be more accurate.

• Posted

Well in that case then you do not have GHS then, groin ache in the case of HS does not last for anywhere near four months, 4 days more like so I would stongly suggest you get that checked out.

• Posted

Yes, I'm very perplexed.  Almost like something is messing with my nervous system.  All the doctors I have seen really have been unable to give me much help.
    • Posted

GP’s won’t help much, attend a Virologist at your local STD clinic. It’s Free.
    • Posted

Once I get my Wester Blot results, and if they are positive for HSV2, I will probably need to seek out a Virologist.  I want to get their take on all this and the idea of suppressive therapy.  I just bought a juicer and plan to start drinking a bunch of carrot and beet juice. I have heard that helps with the amount of lysine in your body.
    • Posted

I just came back from a dermatologist office.  He took one look at the spots I posted and then at a couple spots that showed up on my back last night and said they were not herpes.  I asked him to do a swab or biopsy and he said it would be a waste of time.  He said it was most likely folliculitis.  I'm so curious what my Western Blot HSV test will reveal.  By the way, the dermatologist (he was once an infectious disease doctor) said taking the Western Blot was a waste of my money.  Seems none of these Dr's. are on the same page.
    • Posted

Looks like you are worrying yourself over nothing then. Take a break.
    • Posted

I also read that a first outbreak is not usually on the buttocks, and if so, would normally be clustered, not scattered (so said an HSV doctor/expert on MedHelp). You also wouldn't be getting anything on your back. Photosensitivity (as per your original post) is not a typical or common symptom either.

I think you can rest easy, but if you are determined to do a Western Blot, I think you can order one independently via Westover Heights. No idea about the cost, though.

• Posted

Four months after the last possible exposure date is conclusive, although I'm not familiar with the IgG neg/pos reference range numbers where you are. Is 1.1 a definite negative, unequivocal or a low positive? If a definite negative at four months, I would relax and stop worrying.

Also HSV symptoms come on very quickly, usually within 2-20 days of initial infection, and quite often within the very first week (mine started in 1-2 days!). Sounds like your symptoms occurred later. She was also taking full protective measures with you, so the transmission risk was low. What type does she have? HSV-2?

• Posted

The IGG or what is also know, I think, as the ELISA test states anything 1.0 or higher is positive, but many STD authorities will tell you this test produces a fair number of false positives especially if you have HSV1 already.  The folks at the Westover Clinic in the Pacific Northwest in USA state if you don't show any symptoms that anything below 3.0 should be retested with the Western Blot. I went and had blood drawn for that today.  What originally started all my issues was a rash on my face the first time I slept with this girl.  It was minor, but appeared about 2-3 days after the event.  I went right to my derm, who I have now fired, and the derm told me it was just perioral dermititis and blew it off.  I let it go for a few months and then started to get weird feelings in my legs and just a feeling of unwellness.  That prompted me to take the blood test which showed hsv1 15.5 and hsv2 1.1.  She was on suppressive therapy, but it was only 400mg Acyclovir a day.  I now know that suppressive therapy is 400mg x 2 acyclovir a day.  I'll see how the Western Blot goes and then try to get one of these bumps swabbed the next time I have a fresh one.  I appreciate your response.
    • Posted

Crossed messages! I am assuming you think she has HSV-2. Fyi, Type 2 is very rarely transmitted to the oral/facial region and genital herpes does not cause a facial rash, if that makes you feel any better!
    • Posted

P.S. Did some digging for you, since I am keen to learn everything about genital herpes, lol. Anyway, 1.1 is a *very* low positive (my lab uses a different ref range, hence why I wasn't sure before). The lower the positive (and yours is very low), the greater chance there is that it's a false positive, especially since you have HSV-1, which can apparently skew the HSV-2 result. I got that from a search of the Westover Heights Q&A. The Western Blot should be definitive. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.