Is this IBS

Posted , 5 users are following.

Dear All

I am hoping someone out there can help. Brief history female ages 54 take blood pressure tablet once a day and have a hiatal hernia for years last camera down to check it was in May of this year. I take anti acid tablets when I have a flare up of indigestion.

For the last 2 months I have had a fist like feeling in the middle of my abdomen at the bottom of my breast bone  my GP has put me on some strong anti acid tablets as he thought it was the hernia, this has made no difference at all. I have a lot of wind both ends and it is feeling like cramping pains here there and everywhere . In my sides under my ribs but nothing in my lower stomach. It moves around all the time. Sometimes a get a sharp stabbing pain in my right side around my ribs. My GP has not suggested IBS but could this be the case.

I have had a CT scan on Tuesday because the medication is not working. I don't feel sick i never have much of an appetite anyway so nothing different there. No weight loss GP checked that. I normally go to the toilet first thing in the morning nothing changed there. I do sometimes get the feeling I have to go immediately though.   I am taking gaviscon   all the time.

I was told my CT scan results would be back at the GP by Tuesday unless something urgent showed up. They are not back today.

Anyone out there got any ideas. At this time of typing I have a nagging pain in my right side which feels like a muscle spasm , a tightening and releasing and a dull ache. The fist feeling is there all the time  .

Thanks

Sandra

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Are you having loose bowel habits or any diarrhoea?  Does it revert to constipation?  Does food set it off?  The pattern of your shifting, tightening and dull pain may be IBS. If your CT is clear, ask your doctor about IBS.  Stress can trigger it.
  • Posted

Hi Pippa

No constipation or diarrhoea really but my anti acid meds make it soft.

Yes eating starts the belly gurgling and I can feel wind moving around and it can be painful but after a while it calms down again. If I can manage to get the wind out quickly that most certainly helps.

Sandra

• Posted

Maybe try a different antacid and avoid anything gassy such as broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts and fizzy drinks.  Try a food diary too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.