is this IBS or something different?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all, just looking for a little bit of advice here! So, I'm currently 19 years old and have had IBS for a good few years now. I like to think I've gotten pretty good at knowing whether my symptons are IBS or whether I've got a legit stomach bug. I also have anxiety and severe emetophobia, so when I do get a bad stomach due to my IBS I get severely anxious about feeling sick and vomiting, which makes it worse (it's a vicious cycle!)

Anyway, I've recently started university, which I'm sure you can imagine was a pretty stressful time, and that flared my IBS pretty bad. However, I've started noticing other symptoms which I feel isn't IBS. The first one being I've lost a lot of weight (nearly 2 stone in a couple of months). That's not neccessarily a bad thing, as I wasn't the smallest of people, however my appetite has completely gone, and when I do eat I get full very quickly. This is unusual for me, as I've always been quite a foodie person. I also have noticed blood in my stool, for a good couple months now. It varies from a small amount to dripping into the toilet bowl. I had a back passage examination and there was no piles or any anal lesions to cause this. And finally, I have been getting severe stomach pains in my lower left, near my bowel. Again, as I've had IBS for a while now I'm used to stomach pains and cramps, but they are usually higher up and it's a completely different pain. This new pain is like an acute stabbing pain, and can leave me crying out in pain. I also have been getting very fatigued and dizzy (I struggle to stay up past 10pm whereas a few months ago I could stay up way past midnight).

I've been to the doctor and she dismissed it as IBS getting worse due to the stress of starting uni, however it's been a few months now and I wouldn't say I'm particulary stressed out! I know bleeding isn't usually a sign of IBS, but more rather IBD, but we've ruled that out as my toilet visits aren't as frequent as they would be if I had that. Obviously, I know I'm very young, but as these symptoms get worse I can't help to worry about something more sinister, such as bowel cancer. I don't want to come across like I am overreacting but at the same time I am sure that this isn't IBS. I'm going to the doctors again next week to push for blood tests, more for my own peace of mind rather then anything else, but I was looking for some opinions from people here who have had stomach and bowel struggles.

Thanks in advance 😃

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.