Is this just anxiety?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can anxiety lead me to go eventually go crazy and lose control? Petrified this is where I'm heading, anyone else experience this fear? My mum suffers from schizophrenia and even tho my doctor told me it is very unlikely I will get it and I just have an anxiety disorder, I'm not convinced. Is this my anxiety talking? Is is true that neurosis cannot cross the border to psychosis? I just want I relax!!!

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey Becki all of us who suffer anxiety disorders feel that we are the only ones!!!! Well I can tell you we are not alone!!! It's all very scary when we don't understand the feelings we have or how to control them but believe me talking between us will help a lot I think!!! As talking to relative strangers who you know won't be able to judge what you say makes it easier to unburden your thoughts don't you think???????????
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You won't go crazy becki no matter how bad the anxiety gets. Your in a cycle of anxiety, negative thoughts = anxiety, anxiety= negative thoughts. Try & change your thinking even for 5 mins at a time & see what happens.

We're all suffering from the same symptoms here so we understand, your not on your own ūüėĄ

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Your mums schizophrenia maybe the reason why you've got anxiety. Subconsciously you're probably worrying about becoming a schizophrenic and that's triggering your anxiety. I thought I was going bonkers when I suffered from anxiety. I couldn't sleep,eat or keep still. I would be pacing around the house at all hours of the night, if I stopped I would get these horrible cramping feeling in my legs. I'm a very private person,I normally wouldn't tell anyone about my ailments or problems,but when I suffered from anxiety, I couldn't give a hoot what people thought of me. When I think back at my erratic behaviour I cringe. I'm sorry if this post seems to be more about me than you,but when I was suffering from anxiety a forum like this would have helped me no end. Reading someone has similar symptoms to me would have been comforting.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi becki. I kind of afree with pablo about your mom. If you grew up with you mother being schizophrenic, that would surely put a lot of stress on you, and cause you fears from worrying about her. You will not go crazy or lose control. It feels like it, I know. Read my post "I hope this helps someone". I have been pretty whacked out by anxiety and phobias. They have never mentioned any kind of psychosis with me. And believe me, I have asked. I even tried to have myself commited, but they would not take me wink Hope this eases some of your fears xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

As long as you keep everything in check. Don't over excite yourself this will lead to more anxiety. Don't fret on your mothers illness. Just take yours one day at a time and you'll keep your mind.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think most people with Anxiety have this fear Becki...I wanted to reply to this though cos my my has Schizoaffective Disorder which is symptoms of Schizophrenia and Bipolar...and i knw the fear that brings especially when you have Anxiety. Everytime i had developed Anxiety real bad(this is the 3rd time) I become convinced that I have/am getting what my mum has but also I am convinced I am having a stroke,got a brain tumour etc etc. Anxiety will latch on to anything you worry about. And it is true that neurosis and psychosis are 2 different things. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

you have fears because of your mums  illness , it playing a big part in your life you think you are going to be the same , so you on anxiety alert 24-7   ANXIETY  near always the start of deppression or a mix of both. . you need a way to kill anxiety  that up to you how you try , i cannot recommend the way i did
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you so so much everyone for your answers, its nice to know i am not alone. Anxiety is such a horrible thing to deal with and the constant worrying is just so exhausting. And clairebear i specifically appreciate your answer as it seems to me you know how it feels to feel you are going to end up the same as your mum, so many people feel as if they are going crazy when they have anxiety and i think the fact my mum has schizophrenia just heightens that fear. Again thank you so much for the support and understanding everyone smile Feeling more relaxed..for now lol
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I posted my anxiety issues earlier today. I too had a schizophrenic mother and sister (both are not with us now)  and fear the same thing as you. I have read the two things are different..but the high pitched noise i get doesn't comfort me much. Hope you find peace soon. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think anxiety magnifies all of our sences. Sometimes I hear the blood pumping in my ears, or a high pitched noise, especially if it is very quiet. I tell myself it crickets. We notice every little thing a lot more that has to do with our bodies than we did before anxiety. Which feeds the fear. Please don't fret too much over it!! I have so many phobias that I asked my doctor if they could turn into paranoia schizophrenia. She said she did not believe so. Hugs to both of you!! xx
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up