Is this just mirt

Posted , 5 users are following.

Iv been on mirt 45mg since the end of April.i would say iv been ok on it mood varies until last week I thought I was back in a living he'll.I was suicidal,mood very low no energy.i feel abit more human today I just wondered if anyone else has suffered anything like this.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carolyn.

I would say it is indeed the Mirtazapine....

I also suffered a lot of ups and downs while taking them.

it helped me sleep and eat, but it did not really make me feel relaxed and happy.

• Posted

If you are having such thoughts you should go straight to your health care worker. This is as advised by the Romeron (sp?) website.

My experience is that 45 mg is a large dose. I am prescribed 30 mg but only take 15 because of its soporific effect.

• Posted

I went to my gp and I saw my cpn but neither of them seemed to question the medication
    • Posted

I saw to beat on about this - did you tell them that you felt suicidal? If you did and presumably you told them precisely how you felt, then you have two options it seems to me - to either continue taking the mirtazapine a4 45 mg or to reduce the dosage. They know how you feel and that is reassuring because they are therefore monitoring your situation.

I had suicidal thoughts for maybe 3-4 years after leaving hospital and they never went away.

But if you really feel bad you should go to your A&E. But they are very unlikely to admit you. That is a step back.

All the people writing here IMHO have probably had long-term thoughts such as these. It is a nature of the condition.

II stress that I am only a single user and nothing I say should be taken as gospel - I am not a pdoc nor a GP and I am only an expert about myself!

• Posted

Just wondering how you are. I started on Mirtazapine 15mg for 4 weeks.  Did nothing so doc upped it to 30mg. Took this for 6 days but couldn't face another day and went into hospital. The consultant said 15mg was never going to do anything and upped dose to 45mg.  During the 6 days in hospital, although I hated it, i did cope better but having come home now for 8 days, I feel as though nothing has changed.  I cannot stand being in the house, nor being with my husband,  I am agitated and restless and sometimes feel like screaming, just wishing I could stop thinking about anxiety/depression. I feel so down, having to take sleeping tablets at night as well as Mirt to get some sleep. Your experience would be most helpful.
    • Posted

I really feel as if I'm getting nowhere fast.like you I'm agitated and restless I can take diazepam but feel its a waste of time.i feel as if the sedation I initially got with the mirt has worn off.i take trazadone and zopiclone at night some nights I sleep some I don't.i don't really know what to do now I felt that my mood hasn't been stable since I started the mirt but I have been able to manage until last week.i do feel better now but don't know whether this is just what's going to happen.the professionals think I should  stick with it.im not sure.
    • Posted

What strength diazepam are you taking and how many each day? You say you have been taking 45mg since April. Did you feel well when they kicked in and how long did this take?  The restlessness and agitation is the most awful thing to deal with - not knowing what to do with yourself. When you say you been able to manage, do you mean that you never fully returned to what I call 'normal' but just got by.

I take Zoplicone at night as well as the Mirtazapine although last night, I have to take another one at 3.30am as I kept waking up.

I also take diazepam virtually every day to get through but don't know how much longer the doc will prescribe these.

• Posted

I'm only prescribed 2 mg diazepam but I usually take 10 mg I don't find it has any effect.the mirt took about 3 weeks to kick in and I did feel well.i don't think I have got back to normal not that I really know what that is.i would say I just get by.
    • Posted

Same for me, only 2mg diazepam and worried in case doctor won't let me have anymore.  The most I have taken in a day is 6mg (3x2 tablets).  What do you do during the day to get through?
    • Posted

Hi Carolyn

Feeling desperate. Been on 45mg just over 3 weeks and anxiety through the roof today. When you say you felt well after 3 weeks, was it a gradual thing or did it just happen.

• Posted

It actually just happend but when I think about it it was really sudden and I really only felt normal whatever that is for a couple of weeks.the confidence and the plans just disappeared.now I just feel like a mess again I doubt everything I do and say I know I'm not right but that doesn't really get through to the likes of my cpn she seems to think a good sleep will do the trick I think she's barking up the wrong tree there.i don't really know the answer well I do but that wouldn't be right.maybe the mirt will start to kick in for you now I hope so there's nothing worse than feeling the way you do.
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean. My cpn says going back into hospital would be a backward step. I have had a horrendous day today and to top it all, have had to go to the NHS drop in centre as I have got a very furry tongue and very red and sore tip of my tongue.  She suspects thrush and told me to go to the doctor tomorrow to confirm her suspicions.  She doesn't think it is related to the Mirt as have been on this over six weeks now, at differing doses.

Please keep in touch, it helps to be in contact with a fellow sufferer.

• Posted

Hope you have a better day today.did they give you something for the thrush.it can be really annoying.
    • Posted

Hi Carolyn

Not been great.  My problem is not wanting to be at home, no matter who is here. My home has always been of great importance to me and now that I have no interest in it, to even hating it, I have a huge void to fill.  It is a most irrational fear which I am told is in my mind.  I can't see how any tablet can stop me thinking this way.  I can only relax in it after 8pm ish and I think that is because I have got through another day.

I have now started to see a psychotherapist on a private basis.  Got my second appointment with her tomorrow and she is sure she can help me, and get into my subconcious where the problem is.

How have you been?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.