Is this my gallbladder

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone I am a 36 year old female, I am due to have surgery to remove my gallbladder tomorrow I am terrified of having it done.

My pain in a strange one after eating I get pain in my back that then turns into a band of pain under my breasts that feels like it is pushing up into my chest and I start sweating badly with it, sometimes I am sick and sometimes I bring a horrible orange bile up but within a few hours it will settle down.

I am scared about this surgery tomorrow I am worried something bad is going to happen to me.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Surgery is scary, but so is living with a condition that is likely to get worse, not better!  The bile that you are bringing up is an acid, and excessive bile can break down the tissues of one's digestive tract, so it's not wise to refrain from doing something about it.

The surgey usually proceeds well and is done very quickly!  The staff at the hospital will be happy to respond to your concerns.  They don't want you to be scared, or in pain.

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you get on.   

• Posted

Hi,

?Don't worry about the surgery.  Just think of how good you will be feeling without that nasty gallbladder.

?The surgery goes very quickly.  You are taken to Pre-op where the nurse wraps you in warm blankets and puts in an IV, if you don't already have one.  Then you are wheeled into the operating room where they help you scoot over onto the operating table (very narrow table) and then the Aestheseologist administer the Aesthetic.  Within seconds you are out like a light.  The next thing you know, you are waking up in Post-op and pain free.  If by chance you do, you will be given pain medication.  Once you are more alert, you will be wheeled back to your room or a recovery area if you are having day surgery.

?It will take about five weeks for you recover.  Let people wait on you for the first few days.  Follow your doctors instructions to the T.  You'll be tired and need to sleep, because your body is healing.  You'll also need to take walks periodically throughout the day.  You should be feeling no pain after the second week.  Once you have healed, all you'll have as a reminder is a small incision about an inch long by your belly button. 

?Now relax and take it easy.  You're going to be just fine. smile

• Posted

That pain is your throbbing gallbladder as it tries to push out bile but can't because a gallstone is blocking the exit! After your surgery you'll never have to worry about it again. The surgery is pretty easy. The incisions hurt for a few days but the pain is easily managed with medication. You likely won't even need it after 3 days.

I was vacuuming and cleaning 24 hours after my surgery.

• Posted

Hi i feel the same way as you i also have gallstones and am waiting for surgeryand also scared about it. Alot of people have reassured me on this site that alot of people feel much better after having the surgery which made me feel alot better about it. It does sound like its your gallbladder what you are feeling have you spoke to your doctor or the hospital about your symptoms? I always get worried about my symptoms to i get pain on my right side upper and lower which sometimes goes to my belly button and then radiates to my back. I also sometimes get left side pain to and it hurts after i eat. I am now on a low fat to no fat diet but all i can eat is brown bread and low fat soup. I also get very strange symptoms of weakness, flu type symptoms, aching, and extreme tiredness and also feel sick alot. I also get really bad anxiety so have been having really bad panic attacks. I hope this helped abit. Also everyone told me that when you go to the hospital to have your surgery the nurses and doctors really help you if you feel worried about the surgery and help carm you down before hand and your surgeon will talk with you before hand to so if you have any worries to tell them and they can help you. I hope this helped and let me know how you get on good luck from carmella smile 

• Posted

Hi Carmella I can only describe my pain like labour pain it is like contractions, I Get a band of pain under my breasts that pushes into my chest also awful back pain the attack can last upto 5 hours but will ache for a day after, I also got flu like symptoms and tiredness but I also suffer with ME, PSA and a load of other things including MH problems.

I also have fatty liver due to my poor diet previously.

• Posted

I feel so sorry for you. Im sure the surgery will at least help with the gallbladder problems and hopefully you will feel abit better. I also know that feeling of the band of pain under ribs and radiates to the back mine always seems like it last for so long aswell. I always seem to get a constant pain on my right side which get worse with moving around to much or sitting in the car or sitting in one place for to long makes my pain alot worse. I really hope you feel better soon and that our surgery will help us with our symptoms and we feel better soon goodluck and keep me updated on your surgery and how your getting on from carmella x
  • Posted

I understand your fear as I was also very scared, not being a youngster in my case and having other conditions going on. Hardly anyone approaches surgery totally without fear and the medical staff understand this and can offer support or meds to calm you.

?The anaesthetist will visit you before and you can ask questions or let him/her know you are worried. Mine told me he would not leave my side throughout the surgery until I was back in recovery. This made me feel reassured as I new then I would better looked after than during most times of life, with every function monitored and watched over.

?I awoke feeling very "normal" and alert, not at all woozy and in no pain, just a bit of tightness around the ribs and chest, plus a dry mouth, but I drank lots of water and had a cup of tea and snack later, then home in the afternoon of the same day.

?Everything healed well, only a few days of real discomfort and no strong pain killers were needed in my case, but if you do need them, take them as prescribed and do not overdo things you will need time to heal. I did have a cough after, so that perhaps meant I was a bit sore round the ribs longer. But I am glad to be recovering well and you will too I'm sure.

?Good luck and take care.

• Posted

Thank you Cynthia,

That is my main concern because I have a few Autoimmune problems and also other illnesses I am worried how it would affect me during surgery.

Thank you for the positive post x

• Posted

You will be fine... Its so quick these days compared to "the olden day" lol

They will make so at ease and if you tell the nurse when they give you your gown and lovely knickers 🤓They may give you something to relax you.

I had mine done in decembef and it was fine honest...

• Posted

Hi! I also have surgery tomorrow and I'm so nervous but I keep telling myself it is best to get it done and all will be okay. Good luck and please let me know how you get on.xx

• Posted

Hi Lucy I hope it goes well for you the Princess of wales hospital have a good surgical team and my consulant is great.

Just the anxiety getting the better of me.

• Posted

I know how you feel, I haven't slept very well the last few days because I've been so worried about it, they phoned earlier to change the time, part of me was hoping it was to cancel although obviously I don't really want that.xx

• Posted

Hi Lucy hope the surgery went well, I went in at 7.30 and was on my way home at 1.15pm, I am in some pain did not sleep last night due to pain but I am ok.

Hope you are ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.