Is this normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been suffering with anxiety for about a month now, I've seen my doctor & she says I am suffering with health anxiety. When I'm stressing most I don't have much of an appetite, is this normal? Can anxiety cause stomach/gastric problems? I feel as though I need to do a big burp for relief.

I'm also convinced with this issue that it's cancer :-( it's driving me mad!!!

Please help xxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This is the problem with health anxiety or anxiety in general, it takes over your life, you can't eat, you can't sleep it just rules you, I too think I have cancer but not stomach or anything, I have found a lump in my neck which I've never noticed before, now I'm fixated on it and it's all I can think about which is a nightmare as I'm a married mum of 2 and I need to be well however I'm convinced I'm dying! Have you been back to your docs? Are you taking any medication? X
    • Posted

It's so frustrating isn't it. I'm not on any medication. I haven't been back to the doctors, I only went on Monday, she did feel my stomach & said it all felt fine. I've googled it, stupidly. I may have GERD as I do have a lot of the symptoms. It's just a constant viscous circle xx
  • Posted

Hey Charlotte, 

I can relate with the anxiety being directly tied to my stomach. The stomach is actually basically another brain, that's part of where the expression "trust your gut" comes from. For some, our emotions have a really strong effect on the stomach. If I am anxious I have absolutely no desire to eat and start to burp a lot too. It's very normal, you're not alone in this. Have you thought about taking vitamins and a probiotic? Exercise is also really helpful with this, it releases the tension our minds put on our bodies. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. What other symptoms do you get? No I haven't tried this x
    • Posted

No problem! I get really shakey and start to feel like I am thinking about everything to a point where it becomes nothing and I sit there exhausted by my thoughts. It's like my brain gets so active that it has to siphon energy from the rest of my body just to be so active. I also get clammy hands and feet, and my armpits start to sweat a lot. I also get super tired and yawn like crazy when I am really stressed. I'm pretty sure that is because I forget to breathe when that happens and my brain isn't getting enough oxygen. I get really sensitive to smells too and any sound out of the ordinary frustrates me when I am feeling anxious. 

I'd suggest reading up on probiotics, it's amazing what they do. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.