Is this normal after 5 1/2 months

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all my story's to long to write so here's it quickly

I've been on citalopram for about 5 1/2 months 16 week on 20mg and 6 weeks on 30mg out of all that time I've had some good days but not many more downs than ups for the last week and half I've been waking up feeling really numb most of it head numb feeling very low no motivation and can't consentrate this seems to go on all day long till night time then it settles then boom back in the morning again surely after this amount of time things sould have settled down the anxiety still their but not as bad has anyone still had these problems after all this time

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Don i am on 10mg 4 1/2 weeks and feel the same i guess its one of the side effect. 

As you change the dose maybe that's the reason wait for 2 more weeks and see hopefuly things will be ok.

• Posted

U could always give ur gp a quick ring to c what they think? Some people say cit takes months to settle, depends on how u feel do u want to stick it out or try something else?
  • Posted

Hi Don. It does sound like you need to give it a bit longer before doing anything (if you can manage to hang on) as it seems that 12 weeks seems to be the magical time when citalopram kicks in - and that would include increases. I am 7 weeks in on just 10mg and I still get bad morning anxiety but I think it is easing off a little now and mornings aren't as horrific as they used to be. Morning anxiety is so common and sadly one of the last symptoms to disappear when taking antidepressants, but disappear it will so you just have to try and hang on in there. 

There is is a forum called No More Panic and I would advise you to join as it has lots of really good info and also a board especially for citalopram users where you can ask questions and get support. 

Are you having any counselling or therapy to deal with your anxiety? 

• Posted

Thanks for reply Yes I had Cbt for 6 months and went on a anxiety course
  • Edited

Hi Don

You still struggling a bit?  Mmmmm.......  It could be that 30mg is too high for you and you'd fair better on 20mg.  Some people do find it numbs them too much.

My son took Fluoxetine and it took him 9 months to recover.  Everyone is different - some are better at 3 months, some much longer and some earlier.  

You could either persevere for a few more months on the dose you're on or consider reducing back to 20mg and again wait some more months.  If after all that time and you still feel not right, it might be that you'd find Escitalopram more suitable as I've heard good reports about it.

You say the anxiety isn't as bad, so it does sound like the meds are working and you might find a few more months will do the trick.  

This is is my second time on these meds and it took 6 months is time.  I had no motivation for months and months - no anxiety, but just flat.

K x

• Posted

Hey Don,  I know I sound like a broken record, but it may take a bit longer, and the 30 mg might be a little too much for you.  I would give your doctor a call before making any changes...see what he/she says. 

I do have a suggestion though...I have been on Cital 20mg for 3 years, and my doctor told me to take it at night, 30 minutes before bed with a little food, a friend of mine also takes it too, and her doctor told her the same thing, neither of us have had the issues that others have had, like the foggy brain, lack of consentration, anxiety, and so on.  But it sure does sound like the med is working on you, and you will have those ups and downs, I still do too, but now it is more ups than downs, and I know what to do when I do get those off days.  I bet if your doctor can get you down to the 20 you will feel better, and maybe give taking it at night, you might feel better, and if it still does not feel right, then making a change would be next on the list.  I wish you luck!!  Keep us posted as to how you are doing!  We are here for you when you need us!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.