IS this panick

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hiya,im new to here 1st time.I was put on 10mg citalopram 2 weeks ago,i was getting a unsteady feeling as though I was going to faint especially when stood in a queue or walking in open spaces shopping malls etc would make it worse and I would feel I need to get out of this,once I get back to my home or in my car it seems to subside.The tablets have made me feel tiered a lot and I seem to pee more often I think this maybe is a side effect.I am a 56yr old male.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, these side effects sound quite normal to me for the first few weeks, I experienced same..

Be sure to drink plenty of water, as you will get dehydrated and that could make your feel faint.

• Posted

I have the same. I'm hoping it will pass soon. Other posters on here say it is common and are symptoms of anxiety. Just going to wait it out and see if it passes.
  • Posted

Hiya, Thanks morphix and dianne, for your comments seems like side effects then,and the fainting like symptoms due to anxiety just hope the tablets help with this as I don't want it to interfere with me going out.Thanks again and good luck.
  • Posted

Hi , I'm fairly new here myself ,just before xmas to be precise. My dr prescribed cit 10 mg as I was having bad anxiety . Well I'm just as anxious about taking it as not taking it . So I haven't started with it yet ,simply because after reading other peoples messages , I didn't want to be ill with side effects over xmas . Then I ask myself ," if I can cope without over xmas ,should I carry on coping" . I have great admiration for all you guys , and also my heart goes out to you ,because I know how hard it is . I will keep checking in ,because I may end up taking the plunge . Good luck everyone and I hope the new moon we are expecting for the New Year's Day brings you all the strength you need.
  • Posted

Hi lyn,hope you do decide to try them otherwise you may never know if they would have worked for you,i have seen some very positive messages about them and the side effects are hopefully only for a couple of weeks,xmas is as good as over now so good luck if you do decide to take the plunge.All The Best.

• Posted

Hi. I like many became more anxious after starting on Citalopram, and more so when I stepped up to 20mg after 2 weeks. I became anxious of just the thought of taking the the tablet, but 4 weeks on I am feeling much better. If you can persist and give the drug time to work.

Good luck 👍

• Posted

Thanx for the votes of confidence folks, I will give them a go in the new year ,definitely . I just have so much going on ,that , when is a good time to make yourself feel rubbish ? My partner is due to go in hospital for an op . So I can't be Rubbish for then .
  • Posted

Just a thought , if you take the tablets for a few weeks and the "kick in" .you start to feel "normal" . Then how do you know when you don't need them anymore ?
  • Posted

Let your GP decide that. A course of the tablets will probably last between 6 and 9 months. Feeling better is the first step. Staying better is longer term. Good luck 👍
  • Posted

If you can't tolerate the side effects interferring in what you want to do, and if you're prepared to wait much longer for the med to work, what you can do is start on a super-low dose of 2.5mg and gradually taper it up in 2.5mg increments every 2 weeks. That allows the body to adjust and the side effects are fairly mild, but the trade-off is like I said, it will take 2-3 months, rather than 1 month for the full benefit to become apparent.

You can discuss with your Dr this approach, I suggested it to me Dr and she agreed it was ok to do and it worked well for me.. I couldn't tolerate 10mg from day 1, let alone 20mg some people take.

• Posted

Thanx Petgab12001 ,makes sense. I just thought , if I appear alright in 6/9 months on the meds who s to say I won't plummet if my doc says right you can come off them now . I only think like this cos I've had this prob very intermittently for about 15yrs now . I was on paroxatine before and so pleased to come off it.

Thanx to you too Morphix it's worth considering as I did nt know there was a smaller dose than 10mg.

I personally find chatting to other like minded people helps ,even on here. I have tried counselling but don't keep it up because I just feel that I could teach them a thing or two. You need to know what the problem is yourself before you can fix it. I spent years thinking my bowels were the problem, when all along it was my anxiety that caused my bowel problem .

• Posted

Hi Lynn 19944

Thanks for that little bit of info, I never connected by bowel issue with anxiety, never mentioned it to my GP, but like you I have been in an anxious state for numerous years. Only after significant changes at work did I decide to get some help.

As for thinking about coming off the drug, don't. If you have a good GP he/she will support your needs until you decide you would wish to come off the medication. As I mention earlier usually 6 to 9 months. My wife is a nurse practitioner and she reassures me that it is a positive step to come off the meds. And if counselling isn't working for you self help literature is readily available.

Take care 👍

• Posted

Thanx petgab2001 always appreciate your views . Have read a lot over the years , tried different things from hypnotherapy, relaxation, tapping, etc etc . Not saying they don't work , I do get some relief with some of them .i suppose what works for one an all that ! . But yes anxiety does defo instigate IBS . Also stopping or starting different drugs also effects IBS .
  • Posted

As well as the usual side effects, nausea etc., has anybody ( including longer term users ) suffer from excessive sweating . I came of previous meds , seroxat , tramadol for this reason .it was totally unbearable to the excess that it was dictating my life. Personally think it was the tramadol . I am ready to start on cit 10mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.