Is this peri ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello ladies . I would like some advice please . I am nearly 49 and still having regular periods although heavy and sometimes go only 3 weeks between , but mainly about every 3 and a half weeks . I have had a lot to contend with in the past 11 months following my mums death . Since then I have all these symptoms materialise even ending up in A&E thinking I was having a heart attack , but to be told it was all anxiety. I seem to have constant symptoms migraines , nausea , aches and pains , unsettled tummy feeling , generally anxious . I am on anti depressants , only 10 mg . Why have I still got all these feelings ? I thought the tablets would help . I'm on at the moment , but still feel anxious and nauseous . Please any thoughts ? Also keep getting these waves of heat and nausea and my memory is getting worse .

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane

Im so sorry to hear of the loss of your mum. Loosing a loved one plus anxiety and stress can have a massive impact on your health. Your loss could have triggered peri or it could just be starting on its own accord. Ask your Gp if you could have a blood test to see what your hormone levels are doing. Or better still have you a local well women's clinic ( know as sexual health clinics here ) these people have a better understanding of women's hormones.

Take care and be kind to your self

• Posted

Hi Jane

I am 49, about to turn 50 and have identical symptoms to you. They get worse mid cycle and before a period but I can totally relate to the anxiety and stress feeling which is something to me that feels like I have no control over it. My heart races and last week I very nearly called an ambulance as I thought I was having a heart attack. My doctor and I agree it is perimenopause and I have tried the pill but it gave me a migraine after only 2 tablets. I might try HRT if the symptoms don't settle soon. Your stress levels are probably exacerbating the symptoms as well. All the best x

• Posted

Hello Jane, sorry to hear about your mum. I think deb is right and would agree you should see your GP.

Mine tried to fob me off with AD's but I said if he felt as (physically) bad as I did, HE would be depressed! But you should get your hormones checked. Ask for a full blood works while you are at it and get a print-out of the results - very enlightening!

Be gentle with yourself and try some yoga, breathing and meditation - calming.

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your mum.  I too am 49, and am now post menopause.  Been two years since I had a period, but prior to that I had all your symptoms.  Took me about four years to recognise peri, only after hot flushes did I think this what it is.  I tried AD's, but found, after a couple of dreadful years, that they weren't for me.  I am a migraine sufferer, but have found more recently that they lessened, but did go through a several bouts of seriously bad and frequent migraine attacks.  Thought I was so unlucky, as I've had, and still have, most of the symptoms on the list associated with this lovely experience.  What I will say is that exercise, good diet and positive thinking all help.  It's difficult to get there, but persevere.  My memory is absolutely shocking!  It does worry me, sometimes more than others, but I try to stay calm, keep my mind active - sudoku etc - and try to be mindful.  Anxiety is exhausting.  Try to be positive.  X 
  • Posted

Hi Jane,

So sorry to hear about your mum. I lost mine at about the same point you are at now.

That was 2012, I was still fairy regular, sometimes missing the odd periods here and there.

I was put on anti depressants and a mood stabiliser and they really didn't help any.

After my periods stopped I was plagued with this awful heat, not hot flushes just boiling hot all the time and in desparation turned to HRT.

I know this option isn't for everyone but for me it has been a wonder drug.

All the things you mention I had and all went within 10 weeks of starting it. I no longer need an anti depressant.

The heat was gone within the first week nausea took about 6 weeks to go and my memory is good again. Depressing still seems to be improving at 6 months into it.

So if you feel like I did consider trying HRT if you can. I decided just to try it for maybe 6 months and now I wouldn't be without it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.