Is this really IBS?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with IBS in 2012 (mostly IBS-D) but after changing my diet, I have been able to control the symptoms for the most part, and do not have a lot of issues with it, other than the occasional bout after greasy/fatty foods or alcohol and some bloating.

So, the issue: since 2009 I've been experiencing these stomach "attacks". It comes on very slowly, usually around mid morning or noon. It feels like a stomach ache, a dull, gnawing pain, but it gradually gets worse and worse over an hour or so. It eventually peaks for anywhere from 15-30 minutes, where the pain is excruciating -- I can barely stand up, and nothing is comfortable except to lay down or hunch over and literally moan and writhe in pain. I would say the pain is an 8 or 9/10. It feels like my stomach is being twisted, stretched and stabbed. However, the pain always subsides in 15 or 20 minutes and then slowly gets less and less painful over the next hour or so. During these episodes I am completely bloated and look 9 months pregnant. The pain is all over - it is my entire stomach that hurts. For the rest of the day my stomach will still be sore on and off but the pain is no longer excruciating, maybe a 5 or 6/10 pain wise.

Here is where I get stuck: I have NO other symptoms during these episodes. No diarrhea, no need or desire to go to the bathroom at all. No nausea. The only other symptom is I may feel somewhat gassy, but that's it. These episodes don't happen often -- I may go 6 months without one, and then I may have 2 in the span of a month or two. They seem to be completely random. I haven't eaten ANYTHING out of the norm when I get these attacks; my diet is the same as any other day when I don't have an episode. I don't believe it's a particular food because I keep track of everything I eat when I have an attack and I've never found any common foods. It's anever shortly after eating.. if anything it seems to be  a few hours after my last meal. No medication seems to help - Advil, Gravol, Pepto Bismol, nothing. I have googled for years and can't find anything. I've had 3 doctors, none of who can figure it out. They have ruled out cysts, and the only symptoms I've ever seen that even come close are chronic appendicitis or biliary colic, but even those don't seem totally right.

I'm wondering if this is just a symptom of IBS? Is it really just gas?! Has anyone ever experienced anything like this??? It happens rarely but when it does it is debilitating and the pain is unbearable. I wish I knew something that could help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had attacks similar to yours but mine would start with sinus like symptoms then I would start sneezing, then the pain would start and I would burn up , as the pain eased a little I would go stone cold then my body would feel as if I had the 'flu.  I have only had one of this type of attack since I was advised to cut my fruit consumption to no more than three a day.  I have had a colonoscopy which only revealled a spigelian hernia. I didn't feel as if the attacks were related to any particular food but as you say the pain was unbearble

• Posted

I used to have episodes like this. I have a chronic auto immune disease though and it is linked to that. As you describe I would be doubled over with pain and gassy. It wasn't food related but just very random. I don't get this any more and at the time I had other health issues related to the disease I have. In my case it was caused by inflammation. A colonoscopy at the time revealed nothing.

• Posted

I usually have IBS C.  My flare ups begin with mild, moderate or excruciating pain.  If the pain is severe, I will have nausea but this is rare.  I used to have alternating bowel habits, a lot more nausea and four different types of pain. Now I only have one type of pain which is dull. IBS is variable every time and you don't always gave to have the same symptoms with every flare up.   Are you under any stress? If you are, this will also trigger symptoms.  Worry about your IBS will also make you worse.

Try distraction techniques and try a different antipasmodic.

• Posted

Hi castes, ...sounds like it is. When I have experienced these symptoms, it's normally has a diarrhea associated with it and that's when I get relief. Ali's if I've had to much processed foods, even to many crackers have triggered it.   Are you taking any meds for IBS?

• Posted

Sounds like ibs to me. Unfortunately we have to remember that IBS is a FUNCTIONAL disorder, so by it's very nature can be totally random. The only thing I would suggest is when you feel this coming on take painkillers and antispasmodics to see if this shortens the attack.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.