Is this sort of flare up normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with ibs 2 and a half years ago after a first excruciating flare..

I was laying I'm bed and had had cramps which I've always suffered with a long with constipation.

The cramps started getting worse with the bloating, so I thought the best option was to go and sit on the loo.

I went hot dizzy sweaty, in absolute agony to the point I had to strip off due to it felt like I was burning get up like never before..

I was at the point of calling an ambulance as I thought my appendix had burst

I ended up laying on the floor trying to cool down, I was uncontrollably shaking and sweat dripping as well as feeling like there was a hot poker was inside of me. That lasted about half an hour but felt like forever.

My doctor just said yes you have ibs once he eventually called me back.

Well yesterday this happened again but this time I went soooo sissy that I blacked out for what could have only been a split second. .

I'm worried it's not ibs and it's something more serious.

Is this a normal flare up? Am I the only one to have experienced this? I feel alone and worried

Skatts

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to mention I thougt I was going to throw up everywhere too..

I just wanted to crawl out of my body.

I know it's only the second time it's happened to this extreme but these episodes are just painfully unreal.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had attacks similar.  Sometimes I would wake up feeling fine then I would begin to burn up  the stomach cramps would start , the pain would be excruitiating . Like you I have lain on the bathroom floor. I would feel so nauseous,  I would begin to feel as if I had the 'flu' my joints would ache. burning up then I would feel cold and have to go to sleep.  At first this lasted a morning then gradually it got to three days.  I was so tired I just had to go with the flow as I had no energy to do anything.  Since I saw the gastroenterologist last year and she told me to reduce the amount of fruit in my diet, only to eat a maximum of three pieces a day. I have been a lot better.  I have had the odd attack , one in particular  after eating porridge.  I had the worse one ever about five months ago  I almost dialled 999 as the pain just wouldn't go away and I was soaking with sweat and so so weak.  it really is frightening.  Fortunately I didn't vomit but felt so so sick.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's bloody scarey. . It's draining.

I don't know what sets it off like this but I'm rethinking my whole diet.. and I have no idea where to start,

I'm worries of it happening again or what if it becomes more regular ya know?!

I've just finished a 12 hour shift and it's wiped me right out, I'm still in pain, still bloated and constipated, I can't even take any laxatives as I have another shift tonight and I'm I'm not in a job where I can go to the bathroom as or when's needed.

It's sad to say I'm looking forward to taking some laxatives after work tomorrow morning as it's my last shift for 4 days

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

IBS flare ups can be very severe. Occasionally I have ended up on the bathroon floor in agony and nauseous to the point of vomiting.  Sometimes I have found that taking small sips of milk helps the nausea.Since your doctor diagnosed IBS, don't worry.  Try an anti spasmodic and painkillers like Nurofen.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up