Issues with Post knee surgery/scope

Posted , 5 users are following.

I hope someone can help. A couple months ago i slipped and fell and my knee felt out of place ( ive had this happened a few time in my life and eventually the cap always goes back to where it needs to ) It was starting to get better then i had sqatted down and it fellt someone kind of pop and then it just got worse again and never improved. There was pain and LOTS of grinding. I went to a well know surgeon in my area who did an MRI and told me i had a menicus tear and they scheduled surgery. Due to the surgeons schedule the surgery wasnt until almost two months after the MRI. When i woke up from surgery they said that there was no tear. They said it could have either healed or there was no tear to begin with ( which would no explain all the issues i had with my knee before the surgery) But i am now 3 weeks post surgery or which techinally was a scope since they did not to the repair and I am still having issues. I can not bend my knee properly, I get very still and still have to ice it daily. If i did not need a repair, wouldnt i be much more improved 3 weeks after just a scope? They said 4-6 weeks recovery and i am in physial therapy twice a week. If there was no tear why such a recovery?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Wow Sarah sounds like you need second opinions on this I cannot believe they do MRI and then cannot find a problem I would always get other opinions on issues like these good luck and avoid surgery whenever possible as they only take away they never give you anything back and before you know it u our bone on bone and need a knee replacement so go research who is the best and get some more opinions
  • Posted

It took several weeks after my arthroscopy for my knee to feel somewhat "normal" again. Yes, I had a tear, but regardless of whether they repair a tear or not, I believe your knee would still hurt. They put scopes in your knee, which is minimally invasive, but still invasive and they did it on one of, if not the most, hardworking joints in the body. Keep icing and going to P.T. along with doing your exercises at home with emphasis on bending that knee.

What you said about the MRI and then them not finding a tear is very disturbing. I would definitely want to get the bottom of that! I also second Sarah's recommendation that you get a second opinion.

Best of luck!!

• Posted

Hi Sarah, have to say an MRI shows everything most reliable info a surgeon can have.  Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble after your arthroscope .. have to admit after my 2 athroscopes I had no issues .. but then my knees needing a TKR was due to being run over by a truck so different circumstances .. and always remember we heal at different rates.  Second opinon wouldn't hurt though... I wish you well smile  Cheers Tracey

• Posted

Sorry that the MRI was not efficiently used for you or your surgeon. If it healed they should have checked that before surgery due to wait time for treatment.

In all honesty it could have been a torn meniscus. I had the same thing happen a terrible fall and went into therapy for a torn meniscus. That was 4 years ago. It still bothers me, but not to bad.

Had to ice it and had it drained from fluid build up. Exercises help keep the knee cap in the right position especially knee bends. Start out with one or two and before long I was up to 35 or more. 

Wear good shoes with added arches. As we age our arches fall and require extra support effect our knees. Special spring shoes have helped with the pressure and weight alignment on my knees. 

Takes times to heel especially if you had micro surgery and the tear was not present. It could mean that the knee cap is not in the proper groves to bend properly.

With therapy you will learn many new techniques to help you heel and retain proper alignment. Keep the ice handy help control the swelling with antiflammatories. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.