It became too painful !

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I fell off a bike 6 weeks ago and hurt my shoulder I have been putting off going to see my gp...but the pain restriction in my arm getting worse and all the sleepless nights got the better of me so I went to see him today... I was told I have tenderitus and my shoulder is badly inflamed...I will be going back on Monday for a steroid injection in my arm..has anyone had this and did it help 

shirl 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shirl. Did you have a any scans or Xrays when you fell? I had a fall about 3 years ago and really hurt my shoulder. Didn't go to the docs until 2 weeks later due to being on hols.After checking what pain restriction (lots) and movement I had, (not much)! I was sent for x-rays and scans as it was too late to go to A&E by then. Results were; X-ray, no serious damage! Ultra sound scan; torn rotator cuff and severe osteo- arthritis! I had to wait several weeks longer to get an appointment to operate on it due to waiting list. It's been much better since OP but still achy if I overuse it! (OA). Have you asked your GP for further investigation?
    • Posted

Hi Ellie gp wants to try the injection first as he thinks it's inflamed and if it doesn't improve then he will investigate more..I must say though it feels better since going to see the gp so I think feeling anxious and sleepless nights not knowing what it could be made probably made it worse.

gentle hugs

shirl 

• Posted

Hiya, Shirl, I had 2 frozen shoulders ones tear the other...grr ...I had to have X-rays, sooo painful and restrictive..seems to be worse with Fibro...funny thing is rolleyesit took my mind of all the Fibro issues at the time but....but the doc knew straight away.....not nice..really feeling for you..take care.....gentle hugs.,:-) xx
    • Posted

Thanks Christine my friend developed frozen shoulder last year after getting a flu jab she had similar pain and restriction...so I have someone close that understands what it is like..she has offered to go with me on Monday for the injection...my friend and I went to an open air 70 s dressing up concert last week and when it started raining we blagged our way into the VIP tent with our camping chairs lol...sister sledge made an appearance we sang along had a drink and a great time..there was so much going on I forgot all about the pain in my shoulder and arm when I was there... we have the same sense of humour as well which helps 😂

shirl

• Posted

Just amazing isn't it, how we can forget when we have something that's got more of our attention...would have been great the concert not the rain of course..good you got in the VIP marquee too..my frozen shoulder lasted

in all, about a year until it totally went away,,,then the other one froze...funny really when the doc diagnosed it, he said good news and bad news..you have a diagnosis...good news...bad new...you will get in your other shoulder too..mmm..didn't believe that one for a minute..mm yes, he was right...sooooo painful...but the second one only lasted a few months...I really feel for anyone who has one...especially when they are struggling with other health issue...well, I really hope it's only one per  lifetime...lol..be blessed Shirl..have a lovely day...just gotten dark here..it's 5.15 pm...:-) xx

• Posted

Hi Shirl, I have OA and have found steroid injections have really helped when I have them in my hips. I'm due to have another on the 30th and I can't wait for the relief I get.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa I don't have OA but I did have very bad pain in my right hip for 10 years when my gp prescribed glucosamine sulphate which I took everyday and the pain wasn't as severe once they were in my system and when I ran out of them one time for 3 days the pain became severe again so now I take them all the time and strange as it may seem since the pain in my shoulder and arms started the pain in my hip subsided I still get the odd twinge if I try to overdo things a little..another reason for me taking glucosamine sulphate is there is history in my family of OA and RA I don't have arthritis and I would like to keep my joints as healthy as I can.

gentle hugs

Shirl

ps my daughter is called Lisa and we are very close.. take care

• Posted

Hi Shirl; yes had the exact same problem (and from falling off a bike, too), and the trouble was that I didn't have my shoulder looked at straight away, either.   Hence after long story,  was referred to an Orthopaedic surgeon, who tried having 1 Steroid Injection (done with the aid of an ultra-sound to guide into the bursa and tendon)....it didn't do the job....I also spent several sessions with the physio, who said it needed "more"....ended up having it surgically cleaned out (the pus ie), via key-hole surgery, so not much open wounds etc; and then followed with more physio....took me about 12 months to get over the op, but no trouble since, and that was done in 2010....have the treatment ASAP, as the longer you leave it the worse it gets....maybe I wouldn't have even taken so long to get over the surgery (or even had to have it), if I'd gone to GP/Physio/surgeon sooner???.....let me know how you get on......will be awaiting...............Bron
    • Posted

Thanks Bronwyn that's encouraging to know and glad you got yours sorted out..I have a friend who had frozen shoulder and it's taken her a year as well...mine has been really bad the last couple of weeks..I'm glad I saw the doc the other day though as it has settled down a bit now..will let you know how I get on

gentle hugs

shirl

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.