It Gets Better

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

I just wanted to come on here and give some encouragement to whomever may need it. Four months ago my anxiety (panic disorder) was so bad it was a daily struggle for me to even get out of bed and make it to school( and I only go two days a week). Often times I would leave early because my anxiety was so bad. I couldn't go anywhere just about. I felt like I was going to die or pass out AT least 30 times a day. I lost 15 pounds because I could barley eat. I spent 90% of my day in bed. My point being it was pretty bad... But this month my life has changed for the better. It all started in the end of November I kept getting progressively better and better. Now it's January and I feel free. Now, I'm not saying I'm 100% anxiety free, but I can almost say I feel back to normal. I'm going to movies and concerts and school with no trouble at all, I've atarted to drive again... I even went on a few dates and now am in a relationship. I never thought I would ever get out of the slump I was in. I really thought I would be the way I was for the rest of my life. But now I know I won't - I know my anxiety will go away fully one day. And if you work at it, yours will too. What helped me was breathing techniques, therapy - both group and individual and fluoxitine and hydroxyzine. I also journaled and did. Lot of positive self talk.

I know you guys can do it too! Hang in there. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I wish ALL of you the best of luck. If you need a chat or have questions - feel free to message me or comment.

With love,

Whitney

3 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I meant my title to read "it gets better" not "I gets better"
  • Posted

It's always nice to hear a positive story and glad you are back on the mend. I also went down with anexity and depression in November and I'm still trying to get over it with the help of sertraline. But I do have more good days then bad which I'm sure it's a good sign x
  • Posted

Thank you Whitney. It's so good to read positive stories of recovery. What kind of therapy did you have? I'm seeing my doctor on Tuesday and want to ask to be refered to someone I can talk to. Thanks again. You give us all hope. Xx
    • Posted

I did individual therapy which focused on CBT and some DBT, but what helped me the most in therapy was just talking and letting whatever I had to say come out with no judgment, then I took an art therapy group which focused on CBT practices, and I am currently in a CBT group. So basically it was all CBT smile! Good luck on Tuesday!! So happy you're going to get help
    • Posted

When you say DBT do you mean dialectical behaviour therapy?

Have you got borderline personality disorder?

• Posted

No. But my therapist has a DBT book and we pulled some exercises out of it that she thought would help. It was very minimal
  • Posted

Hello Whitney, I was delighted to read your positive post and the hope you give to others. Wishing you contined success in your life.

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Well done Whitney.

Nice of you to use your experience to offer help to other people.

Kindness goes a long way in life.

Best of luck to you

• Posted

How did hydroxyzine help you? How many mg did you take?
    • Posted

I took 25 my up to four times a day. It was to be taken when I was having high amxiety or a panic attack. It calmed me down. I also took it at bed for sleep.
  • Posted

Love hearing positive post, good for you hun.. We all will get there with faith and determination.. ❌❌❌

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.