It makes your blood boil!

Posted , 6 users are following.

47 doctors have today been charged in Spain with continuing to implant prosthesis when they knew that they had functional problems, receiving commissions for using the faulty  prosthesis, and also  receivng money and gifts, such as holidays in Egypt,  for 'keeping their mouths shut',   This was written on a piece of paper annotating the payments made to doctors for their cooperation in keeping the case quiet.  When one thinks of the pain, suffering, effort etc. which we patients have to make in order to have a successful TKR, it makes you mad to think there are doctors who make

the success of the operation  unlikely just in order to make more money. I hope they rot in prison, but experience suggests to me that they will not. The make was Traiber . .fortunately, mine is Zimmer, so I'm not affected personally. . . There but for the grace of God. . . . . . 

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately it probably won't be the last time we'll here something like this. Big to do over here about the number of needless angioplatsy proceedures that are being done unnecessarily and yet my wife had one done in 1979 for a blocked renal artery and it was a much proceedure that prevented major surgery and never had a problem since. You hope they don't get so carried away they throw the baby out with the bathwater. The sad part, these guys will probably get a slap on the wrist and be back slicing and dicing next week
    • Posted

About 5  years ago a cardiologist wanted to do an angioplasty on Reinaldo, but he had a second opinion from a private cardiologist and he warned him of the danger considering his arteries and veins have been affected by the chemotherapy, and said there was  no evidence that it was necessary . . ..  the first doctor more or less told Reinaldo he could die at any time, that the problem was imminent. . well he's still here, so it's hard to know whether he should have risked the angioplasty or not . ..Of course, the first one could be right. . he could have a massive heart attack . . . .
  • Posted

martinarvelo 

This doesn't surprise me one little bit... I am part of a Facebook group called totally hip replacement news. Everyone on there has received a faulty device, the failure rate,for metal on metal implant, is astronomical, 

the Birmingham hip resurfacing which is same as a metal on metal in that it doesn't have a plastic or poly liner..,has now been banned on women in Australia and small women with a femoral head size of less than 46.. However the makers of this hip prosthesis Is trying to get a petition going to resume this type of surgery. Yet the USA continues to put them in,

Some Of these members have been maimed for life, lost their jobs ect.its an open group anyone can go and read the utter devastation these joints have caused, and yes the surgeons were all paid out a monster amount of money..I hope the 46 in Spain go  jail...

• Posted

So do I . . but I can just imagine all the lawyers rubbing their hands together, starting a court case which will take years and years to come to court. . and meanwhile, these predators will probably be continuing to work.  Hopefully, they wont be doing the same thing, but one has to question their ethics and their ability to empathise with the patients they treat when money is so much more important to them . . 

• Posted

oh my god !!! awfull to have to agree with you ,may they rot in hell !!! when you think of all we have been through with these ops its disgusting they have to be struck off and all other countrys should be looking into this in all countries .as it is i feel that alot of orthopedic surgeons in our country are not up to the mark .we dont have enough orthopedic surgeons in this country as a result lists are long and because of this some of them are doing poor ops one after another and no one is stopping them. .  we have a government here that are a disgrace when it comes to health .so OFG  is right here they would get a slap on the wrist thats for sure and they would be back ion the job next day ruining lives .         .            
  • Posted

This is shocking news!

Does anyone have a link to this?

• Posted

they've only been charged today, so all the news is only in Spanish so far I think . . I know doctors and surgeons don't earn anythig like they do in the USA or even in the UK, but to augment their income in this way is despicable!
    • Posted

right, I kjlnow I can't put a link, but if you enter a google search for doctors in Spain charged over faulty implants, you should come up with an article on this. 

• Posted

Sent the lin in private message. . 

• Posted

It's a shame that money can control the outcomes of surgical procedures, but it does. I discovered a couple of years ago with my first TKR that it's the sales representative in the operating room that selects the specific type and size of prosthetic that will be implanted in the patient. I think that an Orthopaedic surgeon should be skilled enough to make that decision, but it's all about money here in the USA.
    • Posted

Jemma 

In Australia it is up to the surgeon what brand he uses and what size he chooses....he has to use a template when he operates to get the correct Size.

so you may have 5 different surgeons working on different days in a particular hospital and they could all be using something different.

• Posted

I had the same thing with my 1st one but going to a teaching medical center the surgeon is the guy that calls the shots. The 3rd one they put in in June is completely different than the one prior. Because of v the depth of the hole in the bone this one has a prong at the bottom. Instead of a tapered spine it has two pieces that fork off allowing a different kind of pressure. The feature is to allow a different type pressure making it less likely to break the bone. The down side.......it will seem like the bone is bruised for a greater period of time. I wasn't aware of it until recently but I guess he didn't want to wake me up during surgery and discuss the options.

When the sales rep was in there during the 1st one I assumed that they were going to lunch and then play golf afterwards.

• Posted

my second one in my revision was a different one he decided this because of having to go in futher to the bone also with rods at either end ,mind you he didnt tell me this before op ,i was abit miffed about that i only found that out at physio when she brought up my xray .,`at the end of the day i was happy he didnt break my leg like the last guy i dont ever remember being so afraid in my life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.