It's 4 weeks now since my knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I am new to this I had my op on 3rd July I was discharged on 5th July everything seems to be going great guns during the day doing my exercises also getting me knee bending when to see my consultant and physio consultant said see you in four months.

the reason I am on here is to asked if one can help? I am finding night time is bad when I go to bed at first feel great been but I wake up as I get a sharp pain running down my leg I can control pain to  a certain strength but this seems pain is very painful my question is as anyone else had this also what can I do to releave it I await your reply

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

At 4 weeks you can take a pain med before bedtime, that helped me to sleep. I took pain meds until week 12 because of post op complications, but pain control is individual and some need it longer than others. Also icing your knee before bedtime and having ice packs handy in a cooler at night if you need it was helpful for me as I decreased pain meds over time. I wrapped ice packs in cloth napkins and it was just enough to protect my knee.
  • Posted

I agree with Laurel. Take pain meds before bed. Sometimes in that early period (you're still early!), I even needed meds during the night. And I had a Polar Ice machine....what a godsend that was. I used that many times a day. It helped immensely! Before getting out of bed, try doing some stretches....just pointing your toes up, and down.....also sit at the side of the bed with your legs dangling and do the same before putting your feet on the floor. I'm surprised physio said "see you in 4 months". I went twice a week for about 8 or 9 weeks. After that, joined a gym. Hang in there. It will get better. Keep taking your pain meds as needed....especially before doing your exercises.

• Posted

Hi Gerianne 69769, I made a mistake I have to go back to physio after one month not four months. I was given exercises to do before I go back. I have seen my consultant since my operation, he was was pleased with me and wants to see me again in four months. 

Can you help? I keep seeing the words ice pack can you tell me how long to keep them on your knee and how many times through the day can you use them? 

• Posted

It's supposed to be 20min on.....but I have to admit I abused my "ICE" time. Lol. I loved having the ice on. If you are using regular ice packs straight out of the freezer....I'd go with the 20min, as can cause "burns" to your skin. Make sure you have something (like a towel, or pillowcase) between your skin & the ice pack. I had an ice machine. It had a wrap to go around the knee, and cool water flowed through channels in the wrap.  You do need some time in between uses. Use it after your exercises, or if you are between doses of pain meds to give you some relief.  And....I would also put it on when you go to bed. You're not SUPPOSED to sleep with it on.....but I would fall asleep that way. You will

find  what works best for you. Even at 8 months, I still use an cold pack (regular one now) that is large enough to wrap around my knee (comes with a cover that does that)....after I exercise as my knee still swells when overused.  

• Posted

Hang in there, mine was 5/17 and nights are still the worst. I still take a pain pill to help get through the nights. Mine is the tightness around the knee and bursts of what feels like electric shocks coming from the outside of the knee and under the kneecap. Keep  doing what you are doing and don't be discouraged you will get there.

• Posted

Hi Kathylake, I feel much better now knowing that someone else has experienced the same symptoms I am experiencing. I will hang in there now knowing that eventually it will start to get better.
    • Posted

It absolutely will!!! In a few weeks, you will be able to go to aquafit classes. They are so helpful. Exercises in the water is less stressful. I do find that when I first get out of the pool, I feel like I weigh a thousand pounds!!! Lol. And when I get home.....ice the knee.  When you are sitting....straighten & bend your knee (as tolerated). Don't overdo it. Just a few times every now and then. 

• Posted

100 responses to you on this subjects will result in about a 99 having the same issues. Rehabbing is a process that everyone goes through. For some its less difficult than to others but the sleeping aspect is difficult for everyone. Don't overdo it before bedtime. Pain meds, hydrate, ice & elevate. Don't worry about getting up and moving around. My personal history included having a close relationship with my recliner. I spent more nights there tan I did in bed. Be patient.....you will slowly get a comfort level. You may want to try a pillow between your legs but again its a trial and error system at best.

• Posted

Take your meds 1/2 an hour before you're wanting to sleep.  Try heat, warmth, cold or ice to see which one your knee prefers. The more you can exercise that knee in general the sooner the pain will go.  Never exercise to the point where it's just hurting too much and follow your instincts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.