It s been a rough old ride

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just to bring all the lovely members on here who offer great support up to date.   Had my vaginal hysterectomy with anterior and posterior wall repairs on 24 th February.  All went really well and I was discharged two days later.  Apart from the expected no bowel action for a few days everything was fantastic and I was on no pain relief and really felt like nothing had happened - until Six days post op that is.  Started to bleed that day, quite heavily whereas I had had virtually nothing.  That night I developed a really high fever of 39 degrees and felt generally unwell.  G p diagnosed an infection and I was put on two antibiotics.  Just slept all the next day.  Woke up very short of breath.  Next day breathing worse, bleeding worse so trip to A and E where various tests and x ray were done.  They showed I had probably got a pulmonary embolism and I was admitted to the chest ward to await a scan next day.  The following day it was decided I had a chest infection from the anaesthetic.  Antibiotic was changed.  Gynae came to examine me, put me on another antibiotic for an internal infection and something to clot the blood for the bleeding.  It was decided I needed an ultrasound scan.  Later that day and all the following day I had the most horrendous diarrhoea.  The scan was done yesterday, first a pelvic scan and then when something was seen an internal scan.  I have a large haematoma in the vaginal vault which is draining and causing all the bleeding.  Still bleeding, although not as bad.  Still very frequent toilet trips. - today has been eight so far. -  but apart from that feel ok now.  Results of vaginal and stool specimens are still not available.  Hope all you lovely ladies are progressing well.  Thinking of you all.   Claire

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Claire

You poor darling! I hope that everything will be resolved for you really soon. "A rough old ride"...it sounds pretty much a horrendous one. Onward and upward it can only get better from here! x

• Posted

This sounds horrendous for you.  I am only a few days post op, and all ok so far, so can't offer any advice other than to follow instructions, and that this too will pass.  It will be fine in the end.  Hugs. X
  • Posted

Oh how very dreadful for you,I hope that you are getting the care you need and feeling supported. I hope you are now on the path to recovery.

keep your chin-up x

• Posted

Oh Claire, bless you, you really have been through the mill! At least now they know what they are deling with so they can treat it accordingly and hopefully now you will begin to make a speedy recovery. Sending you good wishes xx

• Posted

Hi Claire

Oh Claire what can I say?  What a terrible time you are having, and it was all going so well.  I just hope that they can get you sorted very soon and back on the road to recovery.  Hang on in there! 

Love

Jacqui 

• Posted

Latest update.  Contact with hospital again today.  The stool specimen was clear so hopefully it was either just the usual tummy bug type or reaction to the mega antibiotics.  Only managed five trips today!   The high vaginal swab has shown yet another infection so tomorrow I will be starting on Flucloxacillin, along with the other two antibiotics I m already on.  Just relieved it wasn t the dreaded c diff they were testing for but really want to know more about what us going on so gave got an appointment tomorrow.  I still feel and look really well so fingers crossed
    • Posted

Glad you've had some positive news, boo on the new infection too though. Hope your appointment tomorrow goes well xx
    • Posted

Gosh you are going through the wars.  So glad your stool specimen was clear.  Eat and drink well with all those anti biotics, they can play havoc with your system.  It is great you feel and look good, you just have to get the inner body to behave now! rolleyes

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Oh lovely sounds like u have done the rounds poor you, but u know we r here for you. Big hugs xx
  • Posted

Hi .  I m feeling loads better.  Finished the antibiotics last night and miraculously the bowel problem has disappeared.  Saw G P and took copies of all my results from hospital with me.  He isn t at all happy to give me more antibiotics unless absolutely necessary so he's given me a script in case I need it and is reviewing me again on Monday and is going to repeat the vaginal swab and all the other tests.  This seems a much better plan.  I ve also had Gynae review appt brought forward.  Just hoping I ve turned the corner now.  I ve also had my hair and nails done today which always makes me feel good. smile
    • Posted

So glad you are feeling loads better. lol I good pampering always helps.  I'll keep my fingers crossed you are on the road to recovery now.  

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Fab news Claire, hope that you are now on the up, so pleased to hear that you are feeling more positive, those little girly treats always help as does wine (if you are off the meds) and chocolate smile xx
    • Posted

Alcohol has been a no no  while I ve been on the meds and is banned for a few days after finishing the antibiotics.  Hubby is a pharmacist so I must abide by the rules.  However tomorrow night I will be allowed a cheeky glass of wine with dinner and I ll make sure it is a large one. smile
    • Posted

Hi Claire

No chance for you to cheat with Pharmacist Hubby on the case.  Very glad he is keeping his eye on you.  rolleyes   Just imagine how wonderful that cheeky glass of large wine is going to taste tomorrow!  Enjoy, have one for me, I'm allergic to alcohol, mind you I have drunk enough of it in my time, especially when I lived in Spain, so I have definitely had over my share!   

Hope you are feeling much better.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

I m still feeling good thanks Jacqui.  Really hope I don t get sore again down below tomorrow when I have swabs etc repeated.  I m going to tell them to be gentle with me!!  Relaxing while dinner cooks and anticipating that chilled glass of Chardonnaylol
    • Posted

Hi Claire

Oh it makes the eyes water, those swabs are horrific, you would think in this day and age there would be a kinder way of doing things.  I think my body reacts immediately now when it sees the instruments coming.  sad

I do hope they are very gentle with you.

That Chardonnay sounds very good, but I will toast you with water! lol

Love

Jacqui 

• Posted

Makes me wonder why they say feet together, knees apart and relax!   How can you relax when you know what's coming next?  If they hurt me tomorrow think it will be an inadvertent kick for them. smile

• Posted

Hi Claire 

Oh the dreaded words, it just makes you tense up thinking about it! cry If you feel a kick coming on, give 'em one from me too!  twisted

I have had a thought, and probably nothing to do with it at all, but when my husband first moved in with me I was getting a lot of urine infections around that time, and he suddenly said to me 'do you always drink wine with bubbles', well yes I did, also fizzy water, everything was carbonated.  He then went on to say that carbonated drinks can cause urine infections!  I had been tested every which way but nobody had ever mentioned food or drink.  And the punch line is ........ I stopped the bubbles (about 13 years ago now) and have only had one urine infection since.  I only mention this because I was thinking about your Chardonnay (oh which I used to adore) when it struck me 'bubbles'.  Anyway probably nothing whatever to do with it.  

Good luck for tomorrow, give 'em hell. frown

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Oh that Chardonnay was lovely!  Never heard that about the bubbly.  I ve had infections for years and was taking a prophylactic antibiotic every day.  However it was stopped when I was on all the other tablets last week.  Doctor had thought a lot of the problem could be that the bladder was prolapsed and so the urine was *pooling*.  I'm hoping that now I ve had the repair the infections will stop.  Still got feet up.  Got busy day tomorrow now as after docs going on a trip to Liverpool airport.  Hubby is taking younger son so I'm going along for the ride.  Lucky boy is off to Portugal for three weeks.  He's marathon training at the moment and is going with his coach and another athlete.  Hope you ve lots of nice things planned for the week
    • Posted

How lovely Portugal for three weeks, I bet you will try to get on the plane with him! Gosh Marathon training, not sure my Zumba fitness is up to that but I would love to give it a go.   Have a lovely time tomorrow, after the doctor has finished with you.  

It is all hospitals for me this week, three appointments for Ian and my pre-op cataract appointment, just a normal week for us!  Even the car knows the way to the hospital!  

Love

Jacqui lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.