It's going to be one of those nights

Posted , 9 users are following.

I try so hard to stay positive. If I am not, for the most part I have to either fake it, downplay pain. My family is awesome. But I know they are getting as tired as I am.

I am slowly getting better. 16 Weeks. Femoral damage after surgery. Since Wednesday last week I have increased pain again and a lot on the side of the knee and leg. I can manage it with my pain medication but it never takes the pain and discomfort away completely.

I have been in constant relentless pain for 16 weeks. It is just the amount of pain and discomfort that changes.

So tired of it. I am starting to feel anger. Sometimes I wish I could just have it amputated. I just want it to stop.

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am at 12 months post both knees replaced. Pain is still a part of my life. Please do not give up. Keep on prevailing.bAre you on strong medication because it can add to feelings of hopelessness? We all suffer. It's how we overcome it that is important. Sending you healing thoughts.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I don't do well with prolonged periods of bad pain. Lack of sleep and as you say I have to increase the heavy duty pain stuff. I just get so worn out after a bad bout. On top of it stressing about money when on disability pay. Just a lot of stress on top of this brutal recovery. I need just one good day inbetween...

• Posted

Milla, I can only say I'm thinking of you and hope there is less pain soon!  I remember that feeling with arthritis at times - when I suddenly realised the pain wasn't limited to walking or doing something but it was pain all day every day (and night), but it must be so frustrating for you now.  Thoughts are with you.

• Posted

Oh milla , this pain is the limit & relentlessly ongoing. I know what you say @ great families but they just don't understand how the pain, day & night is so unbearable. WE are the FIRST ones to want it to stop so we can get on with our lives. I'm 11 weeks Tkr & I told my husband that HE should try living with the pain.I am still on strong meds, whatever they do, but have terrible pain 24/7. But he thinks now, that I'm 'milking it', I wish I was. As you say the lack of sleep also has an impact. I never know if it's best to go out other than walking exercise, for a couple of hours or should I stay on the bed & rest it 24/7. ? We just have to keep as positive as possible, it's the only way. I'm retired so not losing money but can understand the worry of not having regular income. I do hope the pain stops iand MUST stop soon , it's GOT to. I still have to see my surgeon in May I certainly have questions to ask him. The PT is only interested in the bend, & is shear hell & makes me feel I'm not trying. They don't know how it feels they haven't had this barbaric surgery. Keep your chin up milla, it's a journey to better days . Take care x

• Posted

Eileen I second what you said!!! The damn bend!! And when you step up the exercises, you can look forward to more pain and sleeplessness!! I hear ya!! If you don't do the exercises, you go backwards!! GOOD GRIEF!!

• Posted

Eizie, that is SO true. You do the exercises push to get the bend then on the bed resting s few days getting ohhervit.,it's s vicious circle, how we've been get there & without pain I just don't know. x

• Posted

Milla, I feel so bad for you. How do you know you have femoral damage? Did you have to have a CT or MRI or was it just by symptoms? Reading your post I'm starting to think "do I have something wrong"? I'm 11 weeks bilateral TKR today and I guess, foolishly, thought I'd be feeling much better. Still very stiff, swollen especially after activity and sudden pains and throbbing at night which, as I'm sure you know, interrupts sleep. I was thinking its all the healing process but "is it"?? You start thinking something is wrong??!! And I have to be st work every day! From my last doctor appt I got the impression I won't be getting any more Tramadol which helps at night so I've been rationing it. I'll probably have to rely on 600 ibuprofen. My next visit to surgeon isn't until 5/3 and I'll have questions, questions. So many times I've questioned "why did I have this done"? There are many days and nights my knees feel worse than they did before!! I'm ranting but I know how you feel!! It's going to be tough but after nights of bad sleeping it just wears you down and to think, as my doctor said, it could take a year or more till normality, is mind blowing. Thanks for listening. I'll listen anytime. We're all in this together!!

• Posted

Hiya I'm sorry to read your post I'm 12 week's post TOR and like everyone else pain stiffness sleepless nights but the one thing I am getting angry here AS you say you're expecting your GO will stop your Trsmall NO you tell him no uncertain terms YOU need them and will be using them till the pain recedes threaten him with malpractice if you have to YOU NEED THEM i only wish i could tolerate them as i vomit and shake so have to rely on paracetamol and 2 codeine You stick in there it does get better in time but in the meantime you need help with meds Big hugs for you xxx

• Posted

E, I am going to post a new discussion called Femoral damage after TKR.
  • Posted

Hi Mills,

Sorry to.hesr your problems.

If your not sleeping then it will make you down its the healing for mind,soul and knee in this game. I think you should have a talk with your Doctor regarding your pain contol. Not saying the discomfort can be avoided but in this day and age finding the right pain control is important. There are also a number of non addictive sleeping medications so ask.

I'm 17 weeks post tkr it is a haul and it must be worrying that you have this femoral damage but not sure if I understand exactly what that means in terms of outcome or does it just delay recovery ? Bones are alien to me.

I have had RA for many years and when my neck progressed at times pain radiated into my scalp suggesting nerve damage. I was put ion ow dose Amytrptylline which helped the pain and sleep and also has a slight mood lifter! In low doses am. told its not addictive and don't need it every night and have had not adverse problems.

Pain and sleep.have to. be managed for both recovery, rehab and sanity!!😁. This tkr is a big deal but for me I remember the pain and disability it caused in my mobility pre-op but it's been a roller coaster and not without tears.

I hope it improves and let us know how you progress. Speak with your Doc you shouldn't have to. be in this much misery .

All the best

Jan

• Posted

i'm assuming femoral damage is damage to the femur?

I'm also thinking thast your surgery was a knee replacement?

Be patient 16 weeks is not long to get over something like that.

It's OK to feel angry, you have admitted you are angry and that is really good.

Try to let out your anger on things (objects) rather than people, they don't hit back.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Posting a new discussion telling you folks about femoral damage
  • Posted

Everyone, thank you for your kind words, support and encouragement last night.

Forgive me for not replying to each of you individually. Tired today but hoping for a better day. Time after time I see "mirror" comments in posts so I know how well you relate to this brutal recovery and how it impacts every aspect of your life.

At my last appointment my OS was happy with the progress I have made considering my diagnosis but he was of the opinion that it is time to go to a pain management clinic.

After last night I think I should get my stubborn behind going on that. If you want your leg amputated rather than continue with this recovery you need help.

Have had many questions about my diagnosis of Femoral damage as a complication of the surgery. I am going to post a new post letting you know my symptoms, diagnostic testing and the prognosis of this.

It is rare, but not that rare and I have seen some complaints on here that makes me think that at the very least you need the testing, if only to set your mind at ease.

It is going to be titled: Femoral Damage after TKR. When you read it you will understand why I always refer to "my leg" and not the knee. I hope it may help someone.

• Posted

Back when...  I had four knee scopes, two each side.  Two menisci and two femoral condyle cartilages ripped right off.  That's what 45 years of hockey will do to you.  I know it's not just the knee.  Hang in there, Milla...you are stronger than you think...

• Posted

Chico that is how all this started way back when I was 14- tore my ACL playing field hockey!
    • Posted

Aha!!!!  Hockey!!!  Ban the sport!!!  Noooooooo...don't do that!  Best sport on the planet!  If it wasn't for all my operations and implants, I'd still be playing at 69.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.