Itchy rash to adhesive on medicated bandage

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good morning all,

This is now day 10 post op. 2 questions have emerged.

1-Have developed an itchy rash around the white medicated honey combed shape part of bandage. I peeled it away and air felt great. Hours later, rash still there. Put hydrocortisone 10 on it and then it started oozing.

I cut the adhesive part off or up to the honeycombed medicated mesh part.

Got the hydrocortisone meds off with rubbing alcohol and let it dry.For bed last night I put non stick gauze on it and put rolled up med tape on it for the night

So , here I am,Sunday am and

need to get this addressed today if possible.

The itch drives me nuts.

2- if I am to excersize today and push on the knee,:

a- am I going to open any stitches? and or -b) does the adhesive part of bandadge hold it all in place for the stretching and pushing that I put into it? Last thing I want to do is cut off all adhesive for the itchiness and then set myself backwards and open stitches. Anyone know about this? Thank you

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Firstly you really need some medical advice on this.

The rash may be connected to the bandage but only a visual exam will say for sure.

​The fact that it oozs following applying ydrocortisone cream is really unusual.

The stitches / Please seek a drs advice in case the area is infected. He may wish to run a few blood tests or take a wound swab to rule out any possible infection.

• Posted

Hi again Patty

U have not replied so wondered if you are okay?

​I donot know where you are located but if in the UK please consider ringing 111 and insistibng to sak to a nurse, a paramedici and the out of hours dr.

The nurse and paramedic cannot prescribe but the OOH dr can of course if necessary. Please do not wait until tomorrow as an infection if it is one that is needs urgent treatment esp in Orthopaedic surgery.

Th Out of Hours dr can do home visits as well.

• Posted

Hi All,

I did go to my ortho office yesterday and they gave me some ointment with a steroid on it.  Took off the honey combed medicated bandadge and the old steri strips and put on fresh ones.  Left it at that.  Said it looked great!  Praise God for that.

I have also gone to the first outside the home PT apt yesterday and my range of movement was 95!!!!  Those inhome PT people ?  I don't know what they were thinking?  And after a few excersizes , I walked out at 110!  I was SO HAPPY!  God was good to me.

I also had a massuese from my church come and give my limpy leg a massage before I went to the appointment thinking maybe she could loosen some stuff up.  Her massage loosened up my upper thigh quad muscle and still have paing and stiffness from knee down, but  it doesn't come instantly.  Slowly, over time.  I am determined to get things back to a good working order!  Thanks for asking!

• Posted

Contact your hospital , hopefully they have a discharge advice line or similar.
  • Posted

Yes, best ask the hospital or ward for advice on this one.

?Stitches don't usually reopen more than superficially from normal use of knee as there are usually also internal stitches below the surface, but again asing for advice makes sense if in any doubt, or worried about the wound. In the meantime you could stick to gentle movements to keep flexible . I never had the honeycomb type bandage. If it proves to be an allergy, you may need some anti allergy meds.

• Posted

Don't do a thing until you see your doctor.  They should run bloods and check on this urgently

• Posted

I am super allergic to all sticking plaster. Even the hypoallergenic ones. Causes rash and tiny blisters. The blisters ooze. I'm glad you got it sorted. One to watch in the future. It causes quite a problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.