Iv struggled with IBS for 5 years and nothing I do helps!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I can literally eat the same thing one day and be fine and the same the following day and within 20 mins be crippled with pain hot flushes panic and need to go to the toilet . The thought of having these attack’s has now made me not want to go anywhere if I’m having a bad day I never want to eat incase it happens , and I just take Imodium to control as and when I go . I’m in a new relationship so have tried to hide it but it’s getring worse help! My confidence and constant worry just eats away at me sad.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Nicky

Talk again with your GP, especially if you have nt been to see Him for some time, There may be more alternatives you  could try.

BOB 

• Posted

I really do feel for you and I now how horrible it is to have to deal with it everyday! I have the same problem, I had pasta a few months ago (which I have never had a problem with) and within 20 minutes I was crippled over in agony crying, my friends description of myself was of someone who was in full blown labour! And since then I have obviously avoided pasta but I am so scared to eat a full meal now and when I do eat I refuse to move for half an hour and basically sit and wait to see if the pain is going to come back! I’m in pain most days with ibs but not the crippling pain luckily, I’m just hoping that pasta is the only trigger to that! I wish I could give you some advice but I just wanted you to know that I totally understand what you’re dealing with rolleyes
    • Posted

It’s so frustrating because I can’t find a trigger that sets me off, it can literally be anything and everything there’s certain foods I avoid completely but it can happen at any time . Just wonderd if anyone else had any tips or tricks to stop the diorreah more than anything , or any remedies x 
  • Posted

I can totally symphasise with you as I have exactly the same. One week I think I should avoid bread and the next week chocolate so difficult. I rely on Imodium when I know I am going to eat out and normally does the trick although nobody can fully understand mentally what it does which is the worst. Hope you manage to get it under control try not to worry as I find that makes mine worse although I should take my own advise 😂

• Posted

I wouldn’t try to hide your IBS; it is nothing to be ashamed of.  If you try to hide it, it will cause you more stress and it will make your symptoms worse.  Be open about your IBS with your new boyfriend. If he loves you, he will understand what you are going through.

Try the Low Fodmap diet and try an antispasmodic such as Buscopan and combine it with Nurofen.  If it doesn’t work, don’t worry, ask your doctor for something else because there are lots on the market.  You may have to try several.  The trick with antispasmodics is to take them before you get a stressful episode and start getting symptoms.   Try deep breathing exercises and distraction techniques such as a hobby or light exercise.

I have had IBS for three years and my symptoms are in remission. Buscopan and Nurofen work for me along with occasionsl Imodium

• Posted

I’ll try explain to him. Iv just started to do a food journal so going to keep my eye on that too..... what does the buscopan and neurofen do then? And can they just be over the counter ones? And what is the low food map too  Thankyou so much for everyone’s replies x 
    • Posted

Buscopan is an antispasmodic which helps to reduce cramping and pain in your stomach.  Nurofen is a standard anti inflammatory painkiller.  Both are over the counter medications at least in the UK.  You can also get your doctor to prescribe Buscopan.  The Low Fodmap Diet is an IBS specific eating plan that outlines the food groups that can trigger IBS symptoms.  However, not all typical trigger foods listed on Fodmap will apply to everyone because everyone has individual triggers.  However, I don't have any IBS food problems.

• Posted

hi, i have exactly the same. its so frustrating and nothing helps. all i do is i eliminate the food that makes me sick instantly a few times. doing so i have little left too eat and fell like one day ill be sick after water. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.