Ive been discussing with another and they have said that people who cut are genetically behind, true

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been discussing with another online, ah yes I know how idiotic of me, and they basically said that people who cut or self harm are genetically behind, and was wondering if this was true? They have anxiety and tics apparently and said that people that can find other ways to cope with depression and anxiety other than self harm are ahead in genetics and I do not think this is true, discussion?

2 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

Not true.  Extreme stress can cause a person to be a cutter.  It is definitely a cry for help.  Don't be embarrassed to get help as you need a therapist and a good doc for some decent meds to reduce your need to cut.  Genetics have nothing to do with it.  Have you ever seen a family full of folks who cut themselves?  When folks are so overwhelmed that they simply cannot feel anymore, they may resort to cutting, just to FEEL something.  Cutting happens in secret because the people who do it are too embarrassed. To come forward and tell someone they are in trouble.  It is not a personal flaw, it is a symptom of what is going on in that person's life.  I wish you the best and hope you get the help you need and gain the wisdom needed so you don't feel like you need to bleed to be a great human.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

KMRC is right.   It is said that you truly don't understand unless it happens to you. I bottled up all of my grief, guilt, and my true self for years and years, at first just to survive and then later as a habit.   When it all exploded at once in March I started crying and clawing at my arms daily.  If I had a razor I would have been cutting and I never did that before.   I am in therapy and dealing with years and years of bottled up feelings and grief for the death of those that mattered to me. Without help I know I would be cutting my arms now, trying to externalise the pain I felt inside.  I know now that cutting is a cry for help and has to be taken seriously.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I would say stress causes cutting 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

What a load of cobblers!   There are many reasons for cutting but I am sure genetics isn't one of them.  x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

smile  Lynne.   I have been watching the board for a time during my break from the site and haven't seen anything nasty.   I am being very choosy with the posts I am answering though.  

I am feeling a bit better about what happened - I have self referred to a counsellor and I had an assessment last Friday.  I think it's time to seek counselling again.  Not been for around 7 years.   Will let you know how I get on.  Thanks for your support my friend.   Bev xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thats all you can do Bev any little thing that can be done grab it!!!

Im ok Im up and down at the moment Im up to 200mg of sertraline and 15mg mirtazapine they are still setteling in

Keep me updated on your journey

Thank you for your support

XX

Lynne 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh I am on those meds.  150mgs sertraline and 7.5mgs of mirtazapine.  Maybe my meds need increasing?   Do you find you get quite zombified on the sertraline?  

I will always be here for you Lynne so take care and chat to me anytime..   Bev xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I kicked up a fuss because I was referred to a psych first appointment  on 31/3 by end of April still had not yet seen an actual psych so I got an appointment for 28/4 My GP  had already put my sertraline up to 150mg but was concerned I was still on the mirt when I saw the shrink he put me up to 200mg said ok to stay on 15mg mirt and also gave me quetiapine which is an antipsychotic drug used in bipolar and schizophrian so Im giving that a miss but the sertraline does make me feel like a zombie.

After my one and only appointment with psych I was discharged because I am receiving CBT you are not allowed to have both the services at the same time!!!!!!

Its a joke.

Anyway Im powering through going to give it a few weeks to see if it helps.

Lynne

x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

No I wouldnt think its a genetics issue however I'm not qualifired. However it sounds like you need some guidence to get back to good health and the fact you know your not 100% is a sign of good awareness Intelligence wink go and see your GP and tell them everything if they dont respond to your satisfaction keep trying until you find one that does. The relaity is Depression comes in all shapes and sizes levels of everity differ from one to another however with medical intervention or counsilling the success in people finding happiness is very high so start the journey Norse all the best.  
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up