Ive been prescribed ppi s

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,Ive just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and felt lump in throat sensation. After ent she said there was a bit of irritation on voicebox so prescribed ppis. Recently read they may increase chance of dementia and may stop absorption of levythyroxine. I would like an ultrasound to see if the thyroid has a nodule etc but noone has suggested this. How do they know its not that?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Your symptoms suggest reflux. The lump in the throat, globus, results from the cricopharyngeal muscle attempting to prevent extra-oesophageal reflux from the oesophagus into the respiratory system.

PPIs ensure that any reflux is less acidic to reduce erosion.

Forget about the sensationalist scare stories about PPIs being asscoisted with dementia, heart attacks, liver disease etc. They have been exaggerated and misinterpreted by the press. They reflect a correlation not a causation and, as one eminent professor said the other day, is more to do with the "characteristics of the patient than the characteristics of the drugs".

(The dementia study carried out in Germany with patients over 75 years old discovered those with dementia were mre frequently taking PPIs than those without. It is wrong to conclude the PPIs caused the dementia.)

If your problems are due to reflux, PPIs may not help apart from making it less damaging - which is important as frequent reflux of acid can cause permanent damage to the oesophagus (Barrett's oesophagus) which has the potential to progress to cancer.

You need to reduce your reflux by lifestyle changes.

See the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk which has a major section devoted to reflux and its management.

• Posted

The lump in your throat could be due to anxiety/stress of recent diagnosis. It could also be due to dry winter air in your home. I wouldn't discredit the research into PPIs personally as there is a lot you can do dietwise to get rid of reflux. If indeed you have reflux. I've been told my some student doctors how quick they are to diagnose "reflux" just because of minor irritation. Their argument is that PPI drugs can be prescribed over the counter so there wouldn't be any long term damage. Do some research into how to get rid of reflux through diet and see how you feel after a number of weeks following the diet, all the best.
  • Posted

I would second everything here about that research, if you can fix the problem with diet, great, I unfortunately can not so have been taking a PPI for a long time and life is good. 

Let me leave you with a question, cars kill people every day, so why do you drive one or get in one?  

Hope you get yourself sorted. I suffered with terrible throat problems until I started the PPI, then all gone, yippee!

• Posted

What tablets are you on ..My throat is so sore I think it's the Lansoprazole causing it ..not the reflux .. am going for a scope with ENT ....any advice on diet or medication welcome .
    • Posted

Your throat is probably sore because the acid is refluxing up into the throat. The Lanzoprozole will reduce that acid and the reflux doesn't reach your throat and hopefully stops. I have to take 30mg a day to be symptom free, 15 is not enough for me

I have to avoid acidic and spicy foods, fizzy drinks are not good, but each person varies. 

• Posted

Shirley80587

hi follow your doctors advice, just adjust your food intake no quick foods 

such as macdonalds,curries ,chocolate, dairy products , no coffee , replace with herb teas , keep out of smoke air ,dry air rooms . Humidyfier will help breathing .

good luck

• Posted

Hi shirley , diffrent food triggers for different people . I can eat chocolate, drink cocktails, dairy , spicey foods and macdonalds. I have a problem digesting nuts (especially almonds), get bad somach pains eating bananas (esp on a hungry stomach),  very oily and heavily  spiced curries ( South Indian style) and pastries filled with fresh cream.
  • Posted

Hi  Shirley 

you are the patient they are the experts so put your self in their hands 

and in time they will help you , have cofidience , as said before eat food that doesn't interfere with you digestion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.