ive been taking 45mg of mitrazapine for several years. is this to long

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi im struggling to cope with life at the moment my tablets dont seem to have any effect anymore i've been taking 45 mg of mitrazapine for several years but my old demons are back ... is this to long to take this medication should i ask my doctor for another kind of drug to try

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lee I have come off mitazapine plus other Meds 2 weeks ago cold turkey I had same problem the mirt was making me worse, I have not felt this well in years it's a terrible drug and glad to be rid ov it .

It's not easy but we'll worth being clear ov it .

• Posted

I have just tapered off mirtz after being on it for nearly a year. It helped me with anxiety and sleeping. I am absolutely fine now. I Just take fluoxetine indefinitely. Good luck with coming off it. Yes you should spk with your doctor regarding meds.

D

• Posted

I have just tapered off mirtz after being on it for nearly a year. It helped me with anxiety and sleeping. I am absolutely fine now. I Just take fluoxetine indefinitely. Good luck with coming off it. Yes you should spk with your doctor regarding meds.

D

• Posted

Hi Lee

Sorry to read of your struggles.  You may have read that sometimes Mirt' can 'poop out', and with that you can go into involuntary withdrawal/discontinuation syndrome ... it may be possible then that symptoms of discontinuation can appear which may be similar to any symptoms you had before taking the AD ~ so it is confusing if this is the case.

If it is the case, then a slow taper may be required ... slow as in no more than 10% every 4 weks, click on my name & follow the link for an informed choice re the slow taper.

Hang on in there, maybe if you are in the UK you could watch the programme at

9 o/c re meds & depression.

Hope a little of this helps.

• Posted

thank you for the support i have got appointment with my doctor to have a review once again thank you for the support
  • Posted

Honestly i dnt like or recommend this medication it gave me one of the worst side effects. As of ur demons are back talk to ur psychiatrist explain wats going on i dnt know y or wat the demons u r talking about but i was given it bcuz of my anxiety to eat so it was for me 2 get my appetite bck. It gave me on my first dose about 50 sezuires/tremors the er doctor i always get still dnt know whick it was..
  • Posted

Hi Lee,

I started on Mirtazapine 15mg about 12yrs ago. Gradually this was increased to 45mg. I thought that I was ok on this and accepted my need for medication. Then over the last 18 months I experienced heightened anxiety, my GP increased my Venlafaxine to 225mg with little benefit. I discovered that Mirtazapine can increase anxiety at higher doses. I also learned that it was probably contributing to my weight gain and food cravings. So I've started to decrease the Mirtazapine with agreement of my doctor. I'm down to 22.5mg. It's not without issues but I feel happy that I am doing something positive and I definitely feel less anxiety.

Therefore my suggestion is to discuss this with your GP and try reducing the Mirtazapine. You may not need an alternative in its place. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.