ive been taking sertraline for about 5 months (100mg)

Posted , 5 users are following.

im 21 years old and due to not understanding a great deal about depression and mental health ive tried to commit suicide 3 times, i know what youre all thinking, typical young person..  here we go.. its all nonsense. Truthfully i need help understanding, even till this day after many doctors appointments, meetings with mental health teams, phone calls and endless research online i still need help understanding this awful situation that a hell of a lot of people suffer with, just someone to relate to would be a massive help. Theres nothing worse in this world than not being able to understand how your own mind works and especially how to prevent it from continuing. 

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey i took that med before it’s very bad drug...i gain a lot weight..I’m here to talk if u want to talk
  • Posted

Hi

I'm sorry you're struggling but it's great that you're getting help. Everybody reacts very differently to antidepressants - what works well for some doesn't for others. I've tried sertraline in the past and lost weight on it as it made me very nauseous.

Do you feel it's helping you at all? If not, you need to speak to your Dr and maybe adjust the dosage or try a different antidepressant.

Are you having counselling? Having a good counsellor who you feel able to be totally honest with can really help you to understand why you feel the way you do and learn better coping strategies.

It can be a frustratingly slow process but stick with it.

• Posted

No you don't know what we are all thinking unless you can read minds.  I assure you no one on here would ever take that attitude with someone suffering depression or any other mental health condition.  And too you are not suffering from suicide ideation because you don't understand your depression.  You think like this because you are depressed. We know all about that on here and we never judge.  We all help and support each other.  

Aren't you seeing a counsellor?  This is the way to go but it can take quite a while before it starts helping you and there are also many different types of counselling so it might need some experimentation.  Stay here with us x

• Posted

I've tried councilling and various other things to help, I understand it can be a slow process but the thing that frustrates me the most is trying to figure out how I got in this situation, I feel for anyone who has it, I wouldn't wish It upon my worst enemy!! My bad days are getting more frequent and so has my temper.. and in my opinion doctors Aren't helping .. I understand there's only so much they can with the knowledge on you as a person but nothing seems to Be working.. but thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to write back to me, nice knowing someone else is there x

• Posted

Hi to be honest does it matter how you got where you are?  Depression anyway can strike at random and you might never know how you became like this.

The important thing to do is concentrate your energies on fighting it and getting all the help you can.  If you want to know yourself better then counselling is the way to know.  A good counsellor will give you different angles to look at a situation and you will learn a lot about yourself.  It is not an easy or quick option but in my view very worthwhile.  x

• Posted

Hi brooke - as hypercat writes, it IS a slow process. Understanding oneself, the illness, triggers, what works and what won't - it's all a journey of discovery, but it's well worth it. All of us were young once (god, so long ago) and can relate to what you are feeling, remembering the helplessness we felt in the face of depression. The fortunate thing where you are concerned is that in this day and age there is wealth of information and help out there for the youth today. The medical profession has matured where mental health is concerned. Don't despair, there is an answer there for you. The important thing is that the sufferer continues to act to challenge the problem - there will be light-bulb moments along the way that will reassure you and give you greater insight. Keep on trucking and remember we are always here to talk to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.