jane

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi. l have been told today l have a 10cm Fibroid, they have given me the options of

​1-- have it removed, which would mean an hysterectomy, l am 47 and have two children so l not bothered about having more children.

​2--go onto Esmya to shrink it and hopefully when i reach menopause, it will shrink even more.

​I don`t know what to do ??? any advice please.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I would take the 2nd option given the chance, a hysterectomy is quite a big operation which comes with risks. I spent 10 days recovering from an infection I caught having the op and had numerous menopausal problems since.

I advise you to give the Esmaya a go 1St and research other options.

Good luck

• Posted

I'd try the least invasive option first to see how you get on with the esmya. If it suits you and works then great. If not, you've always got option 2 to fall back on. A hysterectomy is a major op and personally I would try other options beforehand. Personally, I am having ufe to shrink my 10 cm subserosal fibroid. Was that not offered ?
    • Posted

I am interested to know what ufe is.

THank you,

Jamie 

• Posted

Hi Jamie mine was not bad. I went in hospital on the afternoon and the procedure lasted about 2 hours. Afterwards I was really sick of the morphine and went through the night being sck. Then the sickness stopped and the pain started but after it passed I was fine. I went home the next day but it took about a month to get completely well.would I have it done again absolutely. A few bad periods and now today I'm finally getting better.
    • Posted

Hi Jamie just to add if you want more detail or have any more questions let me know x
    • Posted

Hi Jamie

Embolisation I think is same meaning of ufe. Its basically cutting of the blood supple through the groin artery to the fibroid. It was successful to the one I had size of a cricket ball. But if your the wrong side of 40yrs old could lead to the menopause. This proccedure is alternative to having a hysterectomy. But after 4years more fibroids for me grew back so ended up with a hysterectomy. I came through it ok did feel loads better no more pain yes was abit rough for 6to 8 weeks getting on the mend has it is major surgery. I hope you go on ok deciding which option is better for yourself. But do find advice from your consultant if this option is available to you.

• Posted

Hi I've a fibroid 11 CMS and have been put in zoladex implant for 6 months to shrink it. This is to prepare for hysterectomy later on in the year. I wish I'd of had the option because I'd of had hysterectomy yesterday. Just want rid of fibroid x
  • Posted

Hi Jane,

I agree with the other women, that first you could try Esmya or other options.

But there is also the option of a myectomy - an operation to remove only the fibroids and not the enitre uterus... even if you do not want to have more children, removing all of it is not a simple thing. 

Best regards,

Anna

• Posted

Hi jane I am 49 years old and have had a 10cm Fibroid i was told I could either have a Hystetectomy or medication but I don't know if it was Esyma I was being offered. I asked if the meds would give me the hot flushes and he said yes so I refused as I had already had Zioladex and I had hot flushes from hell with it.

I did my own research and found a procedure called UFE which shrinks the Fibroid I asked the Gynocoloigust and he did not want to give it me but after 18 months he finally agreed to refer me to Rafiology to have a MRI scan to test for suitability I had it done Jan 18 2016 and I have seen a massive improvement in my symptoms.

Of course you stould do what is best for you but don't let your gynocologist tell you that it doesn't work or try to make you not have it like mine did. Make sure it's your choice

Good luck

• Posted

Hello Womb1234,

Sad that you have to make this choice... However, you should definitely research all options available before doing any procedure that you are not comfortable with. 

• Posted

Hi Womb, Like many of the other women, I would definitely start with the least invasive options first.   I've tried three different procedures, with limited success.  But each time they get me closer to menopause, which is basically the goal to avoid a hysterectomy. Which I really want to avoid because of the various risks (including incontinence and a pro-lapsed bladder).

1) Ablation, which interestingly, I have not yet seen anyone on this board mention, and maybe it's not offered in the UK, but is in the US.  This resolved my bleeding for about 2/2.5 years.

2) IUD with hormones, when the bleeding returned from #1, this helped to slow it down again, almost disappeare for 2 years. Then I started taking a stupid hormone treatment for acne, and it came back. Even after I quit the hormone.

3) UAE (UFE)... I'm on week 6. After the initital 2 week recovery my periods/bleeding completely stopped.  A couple days ago I got a period, and it is a super-massive-heavy flow.  Which is why I'm on this board, looking for other's experiences.  Good news, is that I should really be patient for the full 6 months (at least 3 anyway), as it seems maybe this is not uncommon in the first 3 months. 

Hysteroscopy and Esmaya has not been offered to me as an option yet. 

Good luck to you.  Just remember, the hysterectomy is always an option, and a final one, if you can't take it anymore.  And also remember, there are a lot of us in the same boat as you.

• Posted

I had the coil with progesterone initially I had no periods then non stop spotting but it brought back my terrible acne that had gone away and that lasted years after I had it removed. I'm in the UK and did have the ablation which I found resolved the issue for around 2 years. But at that time I only had menorrhagia. Once the fibroids became a problem hysterectomy was suggested and as previously I had abnormal cervix cells removed twice they thought it best to remove my ovaries. It wasn't so much the hysterectomy that was my problem as I was journeying into Vaginal Atrophy. This sped the whole process along and its the after effects of this that has made me regret my decision. Although I was also found to have endometriosis too during the operation. It's best to take the non invasive route first I think as you cant undo the results. Although if my ovaries had later turned cancerous then I would probably be saying the opposite!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.