Jaw clenching?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Guys

Just looking for some advice - been on Cit just over 5 weeks now and am seeing some benefits, most of the side effects have also settled.

From about week 3 I started getting headaches like ones that I've never had before I started taking Cit.

Usually on one side of my head and extend to my neck/jaw/ear - am just wondering whether I could be clenching my jaw in my sleep?! Am getting these headaches every few days or so and they are really starting to get me down now.

Any tips on how to help with them? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle, yes I. Had exactly the same at around the same timescales when I. Started on citalopram.  Ididnt realise I was jaw clenching with the headaches until I woke up with 2 broken fillings!  The good news, I bought an over the counter mouth guard (it's ine of those you put in hot water and mould to your teeth) that helped and I still use it around every '3rd night, and also I'm around week 9 and it's subsided almost completely.  The benefits from citalopram though far outweighed the jaw clenching, so on occasion a couple of pain killers for the headache first thing in the morning does the trick xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Danielle. Im the same at the moment. All my side effects have gone apart from this. Im clenching during the day and grinding during the night.xxx
  • Posted

Brilliant, thanks for the help guys - will buy a mouth guard and see if this helps!

Thanks again xx

• Posted

Danielle, you should never buy or use an over the counter mouth guard. They damage your teeth in the long run and will cost a lot to fix. Iv done alot of research on this as i wanted to stop too and they are so bad for your mouth. If you buy one its recommended getting one to fit from the dentist.... Or just wait until it settles cos it will. It did with me last time i increase my dose. Just takes a few weeks..xxx
    • Posted

Ah ok thanks for your advice, much appreciated! Will ask my dentist next time I go if it hasn't resolved xxx
  • Posted

Hi, I'm around week six now, and I too have noticed lately that  my jaw and teeth ache, possibly from clenching my jaw at night. I've already got a mouth guard as I used to grind my teeth when I was worried about something (way before the anxiety took hold) it's best to get one fitted at the dentist. Mine one cost about £120 - it takes a bit of getting used to but it will save your teeth and you'll be headache free. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.