Jerks and trembling bad again

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I cut down to 10mg of citalopram 7 weeks ago and my jerking and trembling at night has got so much worse this last week and my nightmares are still horrendous

Are these side effects that anyone else has experienced and should i still be getting them 8 months after starting citalopram

I was originally on 20 mg and have now gradually cut down to 10 mg , i thought these symptoms would reduce but seem to be still present

Also seem to keep getting urinary problems

I really want to try and come off of this altogether but should i stay at 10 a while longer

Any advice on any of the above gratefully received

thanks

Steve

0 likes, 17 replies

Report / Delete

17 Replies

• Posted

HI Steve, i was simular, hang on in a couple of weeks & you'l soon feel the benefit.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thanks mike was you like this when withdrawing? Ive got a bad sinus infection now but too scared to take antibiotics

because of all the possible clashes with the citalopram muck really dont know which way to turn

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes Steve i had jerking & lightheadedness, but i put up with it & continued to taper off two & a half mg every couple of weeks, now on 2.5 with no withdrawls.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I also get worried about taking things that it says could cause interactions but if your doctor prescribed it and knows your health it should be just fine to take. For example: it says that there is an interaction with ibuprofen but I asked my physician and the pharmacy about this and they said it is fine for short term, just try not to take it every day for a long period. Just make sure to ask your doctor, and pharmacy if you need a second opinion. 😃

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Steve, a 10mg reduction in 7 weeks, is alot in that time frame, so any side effects you are getting from doing this is completely normal unfortunately. Give yourself time to settle on this amount before cutting down any further to reduce the severity of withdrawal symptoms. There is alot of information on this forum confirming that reducing slowly by small amounts and settling each time is the best way to do this. I also suffered alot of side effects and withdrawal coming off these. The best way to cope is to accept that you will feel horrible and try not to let it scare you otherwise it could increase your anxiety symptoms. Get lots of rest, and I highly recommend massages as they help the central nervous system whilst its adjusting.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi paula thankyou for your reply In withdrawal is it normal for the side affects to increase as the weeks go on before it then starts to improve? On my original post do you reckognise any of the symtoms as im concerned that it is not withdrawal .I had tests for everything done at the end of last year and all fine

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Steve, its definitely worth speaking to your doctor again for peace of mind. Also have a good read of the patient leaflet, it mentions your side effects so you could take this to your doctor to show him/her incase they need to know about it.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry you still fee this way. I Totally agree with Paula you should stay at this level for a while before going down more. Each time you change it creates more side effects.

I too was afraid of antibiotics but I took 875/175 augmentin for 28 days and I was fine. I had a bad infected root canal.

Im on 10 mg cit and doing real well. I had so many horrible side effects from cit in the beginning 7 months.

Will

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hey steve. i started at 20mg for 8 weeks. started taper to 10 almost a week ago. im now taking 15mg and will hold at that for about 4 weeks before cutting to 10. going from 20-10 is a drastic change and as others have noted, you will once again experience withdrawals with a big decrease. so far i havent had any problems.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi there how long was you on 20 mg before you went down to 10 mg i am on 20mg been on ot now a year and i sometimes feel i should start and reduce mine but not sure as i no side effects are going to be awful x

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up