Jolted awake at night coughing, please help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

So this has happened 2 or 3 times in the year or two, just recently today. Sometimes whenever I sleep on my back, I'm jolted awake coughing and sometimes a choking feeling with a sour taste in my mouth.

This also only happens whenever I go back to sleep in the middle of the night after going to the bathroom, so not in deep sleep. Right when I fall back asleep, sometimes I roll on my back, and that's when it seems to be happening. I have Acid Reflux so it's probably related. Called my GI who thought the same thing, but didn't really think it was a big deal.

I don't eat 2-3 hours before bed, I take a zantac every night before bed and I try not to sleep on my back, but my question is, is this dangerous? I'm extremely worried, and am kind of freaking out. Can I suffocate to death? It's a very scary feeling, but only lasts for a couple of seconds. Thanks

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I’ve had this happen to me a few times as well. It is definitely scary! I am a health anxious person so on nights that happens, I can’t fall back asleep for a long time.

As far as it being dangerous and suffocating, I highly doubt that. Just an uncomfortable and scary moment. Have you tried elevating the head of your bed? 

• Posted

Yeah this happens to me too but more like once a week and I am on day shift at work now. I notice I am usually coughing badly before I go to bed on those nights. I take ppis plus Zantac and cimetedine but they don’t help that much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.