Just a reminder

Posted , 5 users are following.

As I have been feeling better the last couple of months I just wanted to share a few things.

I find it important to constantly remind yourself that you are NOT alone in this - It is an real illness that many many people suffer with - although everyones experience is different, we all know how it can make us feel.

It is NOT permanant. I have suffered on & off for 9 years - I have been so low I thought I would never be able to get my life back & at times I didn't even want to. It is ok not to be ok.

You deserve to be happy. Depession can make you feel worthless & alone & like there is no point in getting out of bed in the morning but we are STILL here because we know we deserve to be happy, we know we can be happy & we know there are people that love & need us. 

Look after yourself - If you need time alone, or a break then take it. YOUR MENTAL HEALTH SHOULD BE YOUR PRIORITY!  We have to be selfish sometimes. Some days I don't even want to speak to anyone or answer my phone so I don't. If you're feeling like you can't face the world right now then take time to mentally build youself up to it.

Although other people might not understand what we go through, we tend to be harder on ourselves than anyone else - the fact that we are all still fighting everyday & we keep going just shows how strong we are. It might not seem like it right now but we are AMAZING for being able to battle with this.

Hold on to anything that gives you any happiness even if it is temporary.

If you feel yourself slipping or going to a dark place then act on it - speak to us, do something you enjoy, distract yourself, ride it out until you feel better. 

These are all things we've heard a million times & sounds very cliche - but it's all true. 

You are worth it, you deserve & you WILL be happy.

Love & support to you all 

x

7 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Thankyou that was really what I needed to here right now. But the fact that we ended up being depressed does it mean we are emotionally weak. It happened now and I'm afraid it might happen again. I'm only 19 years old I cannot forever avoid getting myself hurt can I? I so afraid of it that the future feels long and draggy. It looks so bad that I don't want to continue anymore. If I am weak then it means anything can get to me right? My councelor says that I'm an extreamly sensitive per so. Can someone like that survive in the society?

You've mentioned that we should do something that makes us happy if we are feel like we are slipping. What if I find myself addicted to it. Like reading? Would I have to get therapy for that as well? Also there are times when I just don't want it to go away. I just want to shut myself from the world and hold on to the pain. It's comforting. It has a familiar sense to it. Is that bad?

• Posted

Weak would be giving up but we don't. We keep fighting. 

You can't avoid getting hurt or bad things that happen in life but it's how you deal with them. It's something you have to do gradually but everytime you overcome a bad situation you gain strength even when you're feeling your weakest. Being sensitive is not a bad thing it just means you may be effected by certain things more than others. Your personal growth & life experiences will help you to detach your emotions & let things go over your head rather than consume you.

Reading is something that is healthy & good for your mind. It is not a bad thing to get consumed in a good book - it's a healthy outlet so if that's what you enjoy then go for it!

I have felt exactly the same, the comfort in sadness is that it's familiar & we are used to dealing with it - we are not used to being happy so the thought of it scares us, how you feel is completely normal but once you start to allow yourself to step out of the darkness & expeience happiness you will feel so much better.

You're doing great don't ever doubt yourself.

• Posted

It was so nice of you to share your experience with everybody and make everyone feel a heck of a lot better.... I so admire you...... Hilary x  smile 

• Posted

That's so lovely to hear, I know it's only words but sometimes they do give you a boost! Take care xx

• Posted

Do you think I can still recover after 2 years? That's how long this episode has been going on. I'm scared

• Posted

Most definitely. Not to day that you won't still feel low sometimes but you can overcome it no matter how long you've been suffering. Whether it's been months or years there is no cut off you can start to feel better at anytime. You've done amazingly well to have gone through this for 2 years. There is alwas a light at the end of the tunnel some are just a lot longer than others.

Don't give up on yourself x

• Posted

I hope so. Meds don't seem to be helping me out much. I was fine for 52 years of my life but this just won't go into remission

• Posted

Personally I felt better coming off meds completely. Was hard after a couple weeks but soon I just felt much more in control. Maybe speak to your doctor about changing or coming off them
    • Posted

I am exactly in the throws of coming off Fluoxetine, as for me AD's are not the answer...Help a lot of people, but not me, as I have a thyroid problem and I don't think they go with that problem.. .. .Tried a few AD', but all made me worse, and having to go through withdrawal is even more painfull...... 4 weeks into withdrawal, and feeling like crap.... Take my last Fluoxetine on Sunday, then I am completly on my own, been going every 3 days without, I hope I soon calm down.... looking forward to feeling myself again...... Hilary x  smile 

• Posted

That is such good news you're doing so well. I came off Fluoxetine in November last year & was fine but before that I was on Venlafaxine & when I came off it I was ill for about 2 weeks. Sweating shaking dizzy sickness. It was horrendous. Think some AD really do help some people, Citalopram helped in the early stages but soon wasn't enough. I'm definitely better off without any meds

• Posted

Hi Yasmin, after you came off meds how did you feel? Were you feeling normal? I am sick and sleepy with this antidepressant and to be honest I doubt if they work for me. Dont want to change or increase the dosage. Rather suffer without them and let nature take its course.

Did you exercise? I feel exercise made me more tired.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Hilary, congratulation on trying to quit antideprassents. I have been taking mine for the last 15 months - venlaflaxine and mirtaz with no positive effect. I am sure you will a feel better. With m medication I have lost all the emotions-what a life....
  • Posted

I know it's odd to reply to your own old post but I read it again tonight as I have been feeling so low lately. It's important to remember all of the above.

Hope it helps x

• Posted

Hi Yasmin, this is very informative. You cleared all my doubts as to what to do and what not to do. I dont go out, sometimes just to be alone and keep myself busy.

It has been 15 months on antidepressants and still depressed.

Thank you so much. I am sure everybody on this site needs you so stay put.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.