Just back from hospital after double prolapse and bladder sling. What advice do you have?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would like to ask if anyone has any advice about how to have the first bowel movement without straining. I am taking laxatives, countless roughage food and prunes. Am I being too impatient after the first day back from surgery?

Any advice please? 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Jane, you may have seen recent posts on this topic, and they might be useful to you, but I think the first thing is that the bowel is very sensitive to any movement in an operation and that can stop you going for a little while, so don't panic that you've not 'gone' on the first day and it won't make you more constipated.  I was give Macrogol by the hospital and that holds a lot of water in the bowel so makes it much easier to go and I've kept using that since, but rather than twice a day have gone down to Fibrogel once a day and that combination works well for me.  But I can remember very clearly thinking 'how on earth will I go without straining' but it did happen:-)  So relax, and it will be fine!:-)
  • Posted

Hi Jane. I posted very similar questions earlier this week. I had my surgery last Thursday, came home Saturday. I was drinking plenty of water, taking lactulose and a glass of prune juice in the evenings. I took one Dulcolax on Sat when I got home but nothing. Then another on Sunday but still no movement. I then used a suppository on Monday and it took an hour but I was able to go. It was easier than I thought. Took another suppository yesterday and after an hour I went again. 

I don't feel I am emptying enough, today I took a Dulcolax tablet at 9am and am expecting the effects of this to work around 3pm. 

I am not constipated which is great, the stools are soft but not watery.

My body is not working properly itself yet, and it does need help, but as long as I'm not straining to go then I am happier.

You may be too early after surgery, it did take me a good 4 days.

Lorraine

• Posted

Thanks Lorraine, What type of suppository did you use and was it on prescription? I am so scared to push and then the stitches to fall apart. Did it hurt?

• Posted

I have just the normal glycerin suppositories that I picked up from the supermarket. No it did not hurt. I was terrified I promise you. Normally these work within 15-20 mins but I sat waiting for an hour to feel something.

As soon as I felt movement I sat on the toilet and leaned forward and just breathed deeply and it plopped out. I didn't feel pain, I sat there for a bit longer but nothing else happened. So I waited 24 hours and did the same again.

i don't feel I'm empty, I have lots of pressure and pain in my backside. That's why I've taken a stronger laxative today but I am not straining or constipated and that's the main thing.

• Posted

Movicol sachets are the answer - get from Doctor. I was taking 4 a day but now, 13 weeks post op, I take one or two. They can be taken for ever with no ill effect. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Jooles and Lorraine. I will let you know how I get on. Am taking 2sachets of Movicol. 

Jane

• Posted

That's what I got too (it's the same thing as Macrogol) - worked really well and much better for long term use than something like Senna.
  • Posted

Jane I'm new to the prolapse about (6mos)...but it sounds like you're doing the right thing...so relax continue your take in as you are & it will come...you stay positive .you will be just fine.
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement tracey. I think I am a bit impatient. 

Jane

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the advice. What I was waiting for has arrived! 

All is as well as can be expected so far.lol

Jane

• Posted

Day 6 post op. I thought I was doing well, few walks and feeling good until today. Had a small walk, then sleep, then a visit to the loo. Fresh blood from the vagina, help!!!

What has happened? Am I doing too much?

I soo want to get well, very sore now. The dog I am sure is giving me more attention than normal, has he sensed something? Am on the sofa horizontal not sitting up so back to the drawing board?

• Posted

Jane, don't panic.  6 days is still early days so don't be thinking you've damaged something.  Things won't have quite knitted together yet, that's all, I'm sure.  You're doing the right thing - take it easy and let it mend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.